Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Cannot figure out how to sync new Dropbox Work account and connect it with existing personal account

New member | Level 2

I have an existing free basic Dropbox account that I use for both personal and work stuff. Today when I logged in to Dropbox web I noticed at the lower left corner just above the word person an offer to create a Work account. I created one using my work email. I think it's created because I can use my work email to log in online. However, I've followed the instruction there to install the Dropbox desktop app for Windows twice and can't seem to find a way to get the new Work account synced to my desktop. The Dropbox control gadget in the task tray only shows my original personal account and there is no way to add an additional account as described in the following url. In particular, "If you've already signed in to your work account, select the Personal tab. Or, if you've already signed in to your personal account, select the tab with your organization's name." I don't have that anywhere. I am not sure what went wrong. Please help.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/pair-accounts-all-devices

3 Replies

Re: Cannot figure out how to sync new Dropbox Work account and connect it with existing personal acc

Super User II
Hi Sunny

You will only see those options if the work account is a paid one. If you've set up a second free account you cannot have both on your devices at the same time.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Cannot figure out how to sync new Dropbox Work account and connect it with existing personal acc

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your prompt reply. So if I understand correctly, all I accomplished was creating a new free personal account using my work email address? That just seems very misleading on the part of Dropbox when it presents the free Work account offer.

Super User II
The first line of the help article does tell you this.

A possible work around is to set one of the accounts up as a Team: https://www.dropbox.com/help/business/free-teams-overview

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Cannot figure out how to sync new Dropbox Work account and connect it with existing personal account
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post