cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Cannot restore deleted files

Cannot restore deleted files

OGuyDave
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mac. I just used markup to modify a file that's on DB, and now I'd like to revert back to before the markup. I've gone to the "Version history" screen, but I can't figure out how to restore the previous version. There's no button or link to press on the previous version(s). See screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-11-27 at 12.03.56 PM.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @OGuyDave and @groundhog I can tell you exactly what the issue is here. There is no file to recover it to because the file before your edit is over 120 days ago (assuming you are a paying user).

You can ONLY recover and restore files that were previously edited to within 30 days for free users, or 120 for paid. So, if that files had been edited on 20th November and previously on 1st November you'd be able to do it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Hello,

I've never myself needed to use this feature, so out of curiosity I had a look at how it looks within my documents. As I hover the mouse over the previous versions, a Restore option appears, see screenshot. Does it happen for you? I am using PC, but that shouldn't be so different on a Mac.

Screenshot.jpg

OGuyDave
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the quick response.

Re: hovering, I get something different.

(I tried to add a screenshot to this reply, but got "An Unexpected Error has occurred." twice.)

So, what I get when I hover over the first previous version is "Dave Darrah moved the file from /EvergladesTramLeader.jpg to /Photos/EvergladesTramLeader.jpg,"

groundhog
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Okay, I tried to get a situation similar to your case. I moved a .jpg image from one folder to another and checked the version history. It did not give me a restore option upon hovering, only the statement that the image was moved by user.

Then I renamed the file. Again, it apperared in the history, but without the option of restoring.

Finally I opened the file with a photo editor, made a minor change to it and saved (same name). This changed apperared in the version history, this time WITH and option to restore previous version available upon hovering.

So it appears that moving and renaming is not viewed as a change, but editing a photo or a document is. Hopefully someone with a better insight into how dropbox actually behaves can give you a better answer.

OGuyDave
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I can see that editing a photo is a change. But I should be able to revert to the photo as it was before I made the change -- I just made the change this morning. Surely DropBox knows about the previous version, right?

Thanks for your contributions, groundhog. Hopefully, someone else can help.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @OGuyDave and @groundhog I can tell you exactly what the issue is here. There is no file to recover it to because the file before your edit is over 120 days ago (assuming you are a paying user).

You can ONLY recover and restore files that were previously edited to within 30 days for free users, or 120 for paid. So, if that files had been edited on 20th November and previously on 1st November you'd be able to do it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

OGuyDave
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mark:

Thanks for the clear explanation. My misconception, maybe shared by many users, was that the current file (before editing) was saved to Dropbox and would be available.

I see now that Dropbox only saves that current file for 30 (or 120) days, then deletes it, as the file exists on all of the user's devices.

Armed with this valuable information, I plugged in my TimeMachine backup (Mac), and checked to see if older versions of the file reside there. I was happy to see they were, and I restored the original file from there.

Thanks again for your response.

OGuyDave

techskilljo
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have my free account and I deleted my files two months ago can I recover it. I can pay if needed or update my account to a distinguished but I want to recover all of them are almost 10 files and do not exceed 600 mb .

thank you.

Imranaslam55
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Any help ?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Imranaslam55,

I'd be more than happy to help with any issues you're having! However, as I'm not sure of your situation I'll need some more info from you such as:

• Do you need to restore deleted files or a previous version of a file?
  • Are you having trouble with restoring files?
  • Are you receiving any error messages? If so, please send a screenshot of the error and let me know the steps you're taking.

Any info relevant to your issue will be helpful.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?