cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delete files but the storage space does not change

Delete files but the storage space does not change

jamie999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have deleted half of my files and still the amount of storage doesn't change. it says I have used the same amount if I delete any number of files. This is not a shared folders issue. How do I get it to reset the storage spaced used so that it is accurate?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You are in a shared folder (Jamie) which is where I suspect your space is going. As you are deleting things that is automatically filling it back up. So, as you are at 2.79gb of space if the next file in line within the share to add to the account was, say, 200mb it wouldnt be added until you had deleted 200mb of files - hence the space not changing at all.

You can see your shared folder v standard folder usage at www.dropbox.com/account.

Restarting Dropbox wont delete the files, but, I actually suspect it wont do anything - I'm sure its the share.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Mark’s right, the shared folder most likely is packed with files, so the second you delete stuff from your personal account, the shared folder just syncs a few more files into your quota, then making it overquota in moments.

Shared folders do take up quota on your account, so we’d recommend leaving the shared folder to free up the space.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
How are you deleting the files Jamie?

Can you tell me the way you are doing it?

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

jamie999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So on my coputer I open up the file folder with my files, I drag a huge folder to my desktop so it is save on my computer, and usually then it is no longer listed on my dropbox file folder, or it is I click on it and delete it. This file this is no longer visible on the file folder for dropbox, it is no longer there when I log into dropbox online, it is no longer on my phone's dropbox app. BUT, the space still has not changed?

jamie999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
So on my coputer I open up the file folder with my files, I drag a huge folder to my desktop so it is save on my computer, and usually then it is no longer listed on my dropbox file folder, or it is I click on it and delete it. This file this is no longer visible on the file folder for dropbox, it is no longer there when I log into dropbox online, it is no longer on my phone's dropbox app. BUT, the space still has not changed?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Have you tried restarting Dropbox on your computer?

Can you post a screengrab of the page at Dropbox showing your account useage?

jamie999
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you so much for your reply! This would help me out so greatly if I could get this storage space thing fixed!! Thank you!!

Two things:

1. yes I could restart the dropbox on my computer-how would I do that? And also I have some files that are 'pending' on my computer because I have tried to save them and they havent saved on dropbox yet because of the space problem (that is artificially full). Would restarting lose these files?

2.Here is that screen shot- is this what you are refering to? image.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You are in a shared folder (Jamie) which is where I suspect your space is going. As you are deleting things that is automatically filling it back up. So, as you are at 2.79gb of space if the next file in line within the share to add to the account was, say, 200mb it wouldnt be added until you had deleted 200mb of files - hence the space not changing at all.

You can see your shared folder v standard folder usage at www.dropbox.com/account.

Restarting Dropbox wont delete the files, but, I actually suspect it wont do anything - I'm sure its the share.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Mark’s right, the shared folder most likely is packed with files, so the second you delete stuff from your personal account, the shared folder just syncs a few more files into your quota, then making it overquota in moments.

Shared folders do take up quota on your account, so we’d recommend leaving the shared folder to free up the space.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Mark Super User II
    jamie999 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?