cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting files then permanently deleting doesn't free up space!?!

Deleting files then permanently deleting doesn't free up space!?!

Trueplayer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I've seen others with the same issue. I had promotional space added to my account. I used up quite a lot of this space. When my promotion ran out I was naturally over my quota. I then logged on online using the web interface and deleted live files. This had no effect, the amount of used space is not decreasing regardless of what I delete. I tried to permanently delete them but this also had no effect. I thought that perhaps it was because the data was kept on my sync'd devices, so I disassociated all devices, again this had no effect. I looked in depth at every support article online, nothing provides any insight or resolution beyond what I have tried and had no success with. Now either I buy more space or I can no longer upload to Dropbox. It has been weeks with no difference. I have contacted support but I get automated responses to look at their knowledge base, which I had naturally done before but tried again. No Luck. Please help.

As Albert Einstein said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.” Dropbox are sending me insane!

I have one more option. Delete everything so that there is literally nothing in my Dropbox, but I would imagine given the above that it would make no difference and no one is helping!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
gaby wrote:

Now that I've deleted files and then permanently deleted them in the deleted files (same thing you need to do with your Iphone pics to actualy free up space)

You actually don't need to permanently delete files to clear up space. Simply deleting them is all that is needed.

it now says I'm using 3.6 GB out of the 2 GB allowed!

That sounds like what would happen if you're a member of a shared folder that is immediately refilling your Dropbox as you create more room in it. Are you a member of any shared folders? You can check here.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Paul,

A common issue that happens in cases like these are either shared folders that are taking up space on your account or some old folders that are no longer active, but still living on your Dropbox account.

Check for folders that may contain heavy files and try moving them out of Dropbox. That should resolve the problem.

Ed G
Community Manager @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Trueplayer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hi Ed, Thanks for your response, unfortunately the issue is as I described. I am not over my limits and the issue is that any file that I remove does not free up space regardless of the amount of data that I remove. In reality the files that are currently present amount to less data that when I got the promotion and I actually have a higher quota (than before I got the promotional space) as I have earned more free space by recommendations. There are no shared folders or old folders. There are no large files. I sync'd my iPhone Photo folder I went from using 2GB to 20GB with all the videos. I have completely deleted this folder and stopped the iPhone sync, as well as de-authorising my phone, I should be using less than 2GB but it says that I am still using a large amount.

gaby
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue!! Before I started deleting files, I was at the max of 2 GB. Now that I've deleted files and then permanently deleted them in the deleted files (same thing you need to do with your Iphone pics to actualy free up space), it now says I'm using 3.6 GB out of the 2 GB allowed! How is that even possible? Hopefully this is not a pathetic ploy to force people to upgrade. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
gaby wrote:

Now that I've deleted files and then permanently deleted them in the deleted files (same thing you need to do with your Iphone pics to actualy free up space)

You actually don't need to permanently delete files to clear up space. Simply deleting them is all that is needed.

it now says I'm using 3.6 GB out of the 2 GB allowed!

That sounds like what would happen if you're a member of a shared folder that is immediately refilling your Dropbox as you create more room in it. Are you a member of any shared folders? You can check here.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Would you mind doing a test? Try moving all your folders out of Dropbox to see if the account space changes. Make sure they're not living in Dropbox (you can always double check on dropbox.com).

Ed G

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Trueplayer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ed wrote:
Would you mind doing a test? Try moving all your folders out of Dropbox to see if the account space changes. Make sure they're not living in Dropbox (you can always double check on dropbox.com).

Hi Ed, That was my next move, but I was going to do it on dropbox.com directly in the first instance as that is where I have done everything else and it's the only way to be 100% sure it's gone. I just need to find the time to do this. Once there is nothing in there, then I should have 100% free space! I suspect I wont given my previoulsy stated issue, but we'll see, I'll then re-upload if it allows and we'll see how much room that I have.

Ed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
sounds good. Keep us posted!

Ed G

gaby
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Rich, thanks for your response but I clicked the link you gave me and it says I'm not sharing any folders with anyone 😞

gaby
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How do I move folders out of dropbox?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

UncleRick New member | Level 2
    Ed Dropbox Staff
    gaby Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?