Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Dropbox on Mac: changing from one account to another, deleting files?

New member | Level 2

I have dropbox installed on my Mac, currently hooked to my work's dropbox account which has a ton of files in it. I need to switch to my personal dropbox on my machine for a business I'm starting, and I want to make sure I unhook and successfully delete the 80-90 gb worth of stuff from my work dropbox so I can clear the slate and load my personal dropbox (have been using on browser only) on my computer.  What is the correct sequence for this?  And sorry if this a super basic/obvious question.  thanks

To be clear, I have dropbox in my menu bar up top, by the sound, time, bluetooth dropdowns.  

1 Reply

Re: Dropbox on Mac: changing from one account to another, deleting files?

Dropboxer

Hey there @TheWolf - how are you today?

As you want to make permanent changes to your computer that do not sync back to the website you'll need to unlink the computer first. Follow these steps to unlink a computer:

1) Right-click the Dropbox icon in the system tray, or menu bar, by the clock
2) Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar and select 'Preferences' > 'Account'
3) Click the 'Unlink' button
4) Afterward, Dropbox will prompt you to re-register. Quit!

You can now safely move or delete files in the Dropbox folder and not affect anything else.

Note that the Dropbox folder itself is still there (without its syncing properties now that you unlinked the account from the app). If you relink to a different Dropbox account, the application will detect that another Dropbox folder already exists on the computer, and will give you two options: 'Choose Another Location' or 'Install'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in a location different than your existing folder, click on 'Choose Another Location'.

If you want your new Dropbox folder to be in the same location as your existing one, click on 'Install'. This will rename the existing Dropbox folder to 'Dropbox (Old)' and will create a new Dropbox folder for the account you’re currently linking.

I hope this information helps and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Dropbox on Mac: changing from one account to another, deleting files?
1 Reply
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post