Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Duplicate files when uploading to Dropbox?

Level 2

I have a free version of Dropbox, and I haven't changed the uploaded files. I am also invited by others to share their files and I have uploaded onto their folders. Now it seems my account is full and I would like to know - is Dropbox "charging" twice? Because the persons I collaborate with have paid for the space in their folders and I have not changed the content of mine while Dropbox is counting my space as being full? How can this happen otherwise?

6 Replies

Re: Duplicate files when uploading to Dropbox?

Dropboxer
Hey there, @Sylvia4!

At first, please remember that your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your Dropbox, which includes shared folders. For example, since a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB. 

Because every member of a shared folder can add and modify the files in the shared folder, the shared folder takes up space in each member's account. For this reason, even though one user may be subscribed to a plan, that space is account-specific and isn’t shared with other users. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

Furthermore, if you'd like to receive a folder without impacting your quota, you can request from the user who has the folder to share a link, which would allow you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy of the folder. If you'd like to upload files to another user’s account without impacting your space, you can do so through a file request. Our file requests feature enables a requester to have files uploaded to their Dropbox account by other individuals. 

Finally, if your account is reporting to be full, you can find more info about how much storage is being taken up by regular and shared content from your Plan tab. If you want to make space in your account by removing unwanted regular files, as well as removing your access to shared content. You can increase your storage by earn space.  

I hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Betreff: Duplicate files when uploading to Dropbox?

Level 2

No. But Dropbox also adds the space of the shared folder to your space amount.

Level 2

So this means Dropbox can charge for the space of each shared folder to each of the members. Is that even legal????

Dropboxer
Hey again, @Sylvia4

@Sylvia4 wrote:

So this means Dropbox can charge for the space of each shared folder to each of the members.

No, allow me to clarify: each shared folder you add to your account takes up space. 

What I mentioned previously is that even though one member may have a paid subscription, that space is not shared with other members of shared folder. For example, if:
  • User A shares a folder with user B. 
  • Shared folder is 1 GB.
  • User A has a Plus plan and user B has a Basic (free) plan.
Then that means:
  • Shared folder takes up 1 GB of space in user A’s and user B’s account. 
  • User A continues to be subscribed to a Plus plan. 
  • User B continues to be under a Basic (free) account. 
I hope this helps clarify circumstances a bit more! nerd face

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Level 2

Thanks for discussing  - I really like to understand. When a file is placed in someones dropbox this takes up certain space on a server. If the file is shared - you are not replicating the file on the server - you just need to put a pointer towards it, allowing someone else to access it (a question of accessability). Please tell me what the difference with Dropbox is? Kind regards,S

Dropboxer
Hi @Sylvia4, shared folders are a collaboration between users, where they can edit content in that folder, which is why they take up space for all members.

If you’d like to have access to a folder that you don’t need to edit and to not take up space in your account, please request from the other user to send you the folder as a shared link.

You can find more info about shared folders here and shared links here

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact our Support team for a more in-depth investigation. Thanks!

Lusil

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Duplicate files when uploading to Dropbox?
6 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post