Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Effect of activating SmartSync on local files

New member | Level 2

My first post here!

My laptop has been running low on memory and i thought of activating SmartSync (online only option) on the entire Dropbox folder. A good amount of time has passed and i do not see my computer's memory space free up yet.

Does activating Smartsync (online only) automatically free up device's memory or does one have to delete those folders/files after activating smartsync?

Thank you. 

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Effect of activating SmartSync on local files

Dropboxer
Hey there @dbox01,

So from what I understand, you’ve selected your Dropbox folder as a whole and used the right-click menu to choose “Smart sync - Online only”, is that right?

Currently, do you see a grey cloud icon next to your Dropbox files when viewing them in your file browser window or a green tick icon still? If the files are correctly smart synced then they should show the grey cloud icon, and you should see the space freed up on your device. You shouldn’t actually delete the files from your computer as this will remove them from your Dropbox account.

To have a better understanding of the whole situation, can you let me know the OS version of your computer and the current sync status of your desktop app?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Thank you Daphne for looking in to my query and your quick response.

Yes, i have smart-synced the "Dropbox folder" completely (to be accessible only online) - however, grey cloud icon is yet to appear on any file/folder. Some of the documents that are not within a folder look greyed out though.

One reason i can think of for this is:

- after convering (SmartSyncing) my existing dropbox content to be only Online

i added some new folders to the local Dropbox folder - as these new folders/files are still getting uploaded to Dropbox, perhaps the cloud icon is not shown. Do you agree with that?

Also, thanks for the heads up about not deleting any files locally. This is something i have always had a confusion with. A few years ago i think, when i deleted the files locally, it seemed they got resynced and all the files from online seemed to have gotten restored back in the folder.

I never quite understood how this process works in Dropbox ending up creating unnecessary redundancy. In the last few years, every time i had to change my device/laptop i downloaded all content in dropbox locally (external drive) to reupload to dropbox fearing that when the old laptop is cleared of its contents, the online content would also be lost.  Is there a quick reference to understand more about how this works. 

To your question about

- the OS version of your computer:  Windows 10

current sync status:   Shows as "syncing" (about 1000 files)

Thank you

Dropboxer
Hey @dbox01,

Would you mind sharing a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the “greyed out” looking files? This might help me to understand what you’re describing a bit better.

Since you mentioned that the desktop app is still currently syncing, it may be that not all files have been made “online only” or syncing the additional files still. Are you seeing the sync status progressing or any error message when you click on the Dropbox icon in your system tray?

Also, just to mention that when you add files to your Dropbox folder on your computer to upload to your account, these files will be local (blue circle while they sync and then a green tick). Only after they have been able to sync fully to your account will you be able to apply smart sync to the files. When you see that the app has finished syncing and is “up to date”, you can then select the added files/folders and make them “online only”.

Finally, in terms of how the syncing works, any changes you make to your desktop Dropbox folder will sync to your account online. This would include moving, adding, renaming, deleting files etc. and vice versa for changes made on the website; this will sync to the Dropbox folder on your desktop. 

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Effect of activating SmartSync on local files
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post