Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

How can I unlink devices from my Dropbox account? How can I know how many devices I have linked?

Level 2

How can I unlink devices from my Dropbox account? How can I know how many devices I have linked?

25 Replies

How do I unlink devices I no longer own?

Level 2

With this new policy to only allow 3 devices to be linked existing drop box accounts have become unusable.  Unknowingly, I had many devices linked which I have reset to factory settings or I no longer own the device.  Now when I try to login to drop box with my new iPad it requires me to unlink other devices.  It shows me a list of 4 or 5 devices and when I select several to unlink I receive a message I need to unlink 15 more.  None of those 15 devices appear to be able to unlink them and I no longer own those devices.

How can I unlink devices I no longer own?  Can you just unlink all the devices from my account and let me start over since I have recently purchased all new devices?

This is frustrating and a good way to lose all current Dropbox account holders except none of us wants to lose our data.

Re: How do I unlink devices I no longer own?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Hghintz), you should be able to unlink the devices you’re no longer using on your Account tab normally & from there link the new ones you’ve recently purchased, however the three-devices limit applies for those you connect moving forward. 

Sorry to hear about any frustration this has caused you & (if that alleviates your concern) let me quickly re-assure you that your files are safe with us & you can always access your content on our website

If you’re still facing any issues after trying my suggestion or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way, please let me know here & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. I’d also appreciate it if you included a screenshot of the last screen you’re seeing if you’re encountering any discrepancies (omitting personal info), so as to further advise. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Re: How can I unlink devices from my Dropbox account? How can I know how many devices I have linked?

Dropboxer

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: How can I unlink devices from my Dropbox account? How can I know how many devices I have linked?

Level 2

Thank-you so much!!!!

How do I remove my account from my computer?

Level 2

How do I remove my drop box account from a dead computer so I can add it to the new one?

Re: Dead Computer

Super User

Hi @Parkaleo, you can go to Dropbox web - https://www.dropbox.com/account/security Scroll down to Devices, and click the x next to your dead computer name, and cofirm Unlink device. Then you can add  login on the Dropbox app from the new device. 

How can I see which devices are linked to my Dropbox account?

Level 2

How can I see which devices are linked to my Dropbox account

Tags (1)

Re: How can I see which devices are linked to my Dropbox account?

Level 10
Dropbox.com > Settings (avatar at top-right) > Security > scroll down to Devices.

How do I add a device to my Basic Plan?

Level 2

I have the Basic Plan and removed 2 devices of the 3 that were linked. How do I add 2 more devices? I don't see any button or link to add a device.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

25 Replies
10 Likes
Solved! : See solution