Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Deleting old login entries after getting device limit error message.

Collaborator | Level 8

@Jane Doesn't work, if i read it correctly relink happens when you log into the app, which is exactly what i am trying to do and what the error prevents me from doing.

Collaborator | Level 8

@Rich  Why is this a thing now? i've had this setup for over a year without problems.

Super User II

It's a change in Dropbox policy. No explanation has been given.

@nicolaj wrote:

... relink happens when you log into the app, which is exactly what i am trying to do and what the error prevents me from doing.

If you have a Basic account with 97 devices linked to it, you will not be able to link another device until you remove all but two of them. Only then will you be able to link or relink a device, bringing you to the three allowed devices for a free account.

Collaborator | Level 8

@Rich Oh, so it's a change they've just made.

I don't have 97 devices, never had. Over the past years i've only had the devices i have now, nothing has changed besides my phone being reset.

But with this change and the setup i have, what is your recommendation?

Super User II

@nicolaj wrote:

Oh, so it's a change they've just made.

Yes, as of March this year, as linked to above.

I don't have 97 devices, never had. Over the past years i've only had the devices i have now, nothing has changed besides my phone being reset.

Having 97 devices linked to your account doesn't mean you've had 97 separate devices. Every time you unlink, relink, reinstall, etc., Dropbox sees it as a new device, so it's quite easy to accumulate a lot of devices on your account.

But with this change and the setup i have, what is your recommendation?

Remove enough of the devices until you're able to re-link your phone. There's no other course of action. If you have 5 active devices (three PCs, Linux VM and a phone), you'll either need to leave them as they are and not re-link your phone, leaving you with 4 devices on your account, or determine which two of those devices you want to remove (along with any extras you see on your account) so you can re-link your phone.

Collaborator | Level 8

Then dropbox isn't the product for me anymore. I'll migrate to google drive.

How to delete a single device( from 4 to the minimum 3) in Basic?

Explorer | Level 4
Hi , I upgraded my phone yesterday and I want to remove the old phone from the list of devices since I can only have 3. My tablet and computer are also listed, making it four devices. When I try to delete the old phone I get a message that I have to remove 3 devices or upgrade to plus. Why would i have to delete 3 devices?

How do I work around this?
Thanks,

Re: How to delete a single device( from 4 to the minimum 3) in Basic?

Super User II

You should just be able to delete it from https://www.dropbox.com/account/security by clicking on 'Unlink'

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I unlink devices from my Dropbox account? How can I know how many devices I have linked?
27 Replies
11 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post