Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How to make space on your Dropbox

New member | Level 2

How do i make space on my dropbox, i have deleted everything so there is nothing in my dropbox.

11 Replies

Re: How to make space on your Dropbox

New member | Level 2

@SophieHS wrote:

How do i make space on my dropbox, i have deleted everything so there is nothing in my dropbox.

Puedes adquirir más espacio de diferentes maneras Shophie, la primera es recomendándole a tus amigos dropbox a través de la plataforma. La segunda es subiendo tus archivos en una carpeta ZIP. Espero que te sirva de ayuda 

Re: How to make space on your Dropbox

Dropboxer
👋 Hey there (@SophieHS), @carlostogo98’s tips will definitely be helpful (& thanks for taking a bit of your time to post us here Carlos), though let me explain in a bit more detail below! 

For starters, if you’re using a personal account, you can look for your available space breakdown on your Account tab online: https://www.dropbox.com/account/plan in case you’re getting a message that you’re close to using up your account quota. From there, you’ll be able to see whether you’re working on personal or shared files/folders &c. 

Following, depending on your current setup, it’s highly likely that a shared folder is the culprit for using up your space, so I’d recommend following these simple steps to expand your allowance if you wish to keep the shares. 

I hope that this brings a bit more clarity to your inquiry & please do let us know here if you still need assistance in any way; I’m positive we can get this sorted soon. Happy Friday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

dropbox full after deleted all files

New member | Level 2

Dropbox still full after deleting all files.

Re: dropbox full after deleted all files

New member | Level 2

It's better to delete from the web interface. http://www.dropbox.com/

In my experience; especially Mac, they do create a hidden folder within dropbox folder to store deleted files. They will only be cleared when you delete from the trash. Nevetheless, sometimes some files will still be stucked there.

Re: dropbox full after deleted all files

Dropboxer
Hey there (@monogrammuse), @junkai21's tips & hints should be a great starting point, though I’ve also moved the thread under this discussion, as I've attempted to answer this question previously here. Please feel free to have a look at my suggestions at your convenience & let me know how my advice works for you whenever you get a chance. 

Thanks for visiting our Community for assistance @monogrammuse; I’ll be awaiting your next reply on this discussion. Enjoy the first few days of the year until we talk again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

What is the space given with a Basic Dropbox account?

Explorer | Level 3

I think I have the same issue as space use doubled...  I deleted old folders and unshared several folders and all of a sudden I get the "over limit" message.  Not sure I want to reload the program (on my phone, tablet and computer), but am glad for instruction on how to empty a cache.

Re: What is the space given with a Basic Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@cmfink), while you can check you Account tab to see how you’ve used up your space, I’ve also moved your post under this discussion here, just in order to ping you towards my reply to the OP. Would you mind having a look if it’s personal or shared files that are putting your above your allowance? 

It would be worth mentioning that the files you’ve already removed may not suffice to put your Dropbox account underquota again, so you’d still need to free up some space. 

Please have a look at my recommendations at your earliest convenience & let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way. Thanks & enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

So I checked my files 9.8 GB personal and 1.0 shared.  I would love some help reducing files.  Do deleted files stay for awhile?  How do I clear out the cache?  I can email off coversation.

Dropboxer
Thanks for circling back to me on this discussion (@cmfink); this resource should be helpful in regards to the file deletion & removed items on your account don’t use up your space. From there, clearing your cache would merely free up some space locally on your device (desktop/iphone), though it will not increase your Dropbox quota. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or thoughts & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon!

Jane

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to make space on your Dropbox
11 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post