Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I'm still seeing a notification that my account is full after deleting files, why is that?

New member | Level 2

I'm told my Dropbox is full, but I've deleted several large files and no space has freed up. I'm doing this online, not on a desktop app. And I don't have shared folders.

I'm being steered towards a paid upgrade, but I don't need one. I just need the space I was using for other files to open up for the new ones I need to upload.

Please advise. Thanks very much.

Tags (2)
3 Replies

Re: Can't free up space

Dropboxer
Hey there @leomarks,

When you delete files from your account online the space will be freed up immediately. Usually you will still see this notification if the amount of data you deleted wasn’t enough to take you under your space quota.

Please can you check your Plans page to see the exact space you are currently using. Also, if you would like to see the sizes of your folders in your account so you can easily see where a lot of data is lying, you can do so with the steps outlined here.

Also, please bear in mind that anything appearing in your Deleted files page (that was deleted previously) doesn’t take space in your account so permanently deleting any content from there will not free up space.

Let me know what you find out - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Well, I actually have a whopping total of ~200KB. I've got almost nothing there but I'm still told I have to upgrade. So in the meantime, I've upgraded to the 30 day free business account--and now almost nothing is functional. Upload Files, Help, everything on the right is not functional--I can't click on it. Help?

Dropboxer
Hey again @leomarks,

Please let me know where you were receiving the notification that your account was full. Is it possible that you’re signed into a different account where you see this space usage on your Plans page?

In regards to uploading on the website you mentioned that you are not able to click the options. Would you mind refreshing the page or trying a different browser to see if you can upload from there? 

Let me know how it goes - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm still seeing a notification that my account is full after deleting files, why is that?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post