Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I received an email and I was wondering if it's legitimate. Can you shed some light?

New member | Level 2

I received an email today telling me my dropbox account would be closed at end of day today 4/30/2019 if I don't sign in or do some other activity.  Is that legitimate?   Seems kind of short notice if yes.

5 Replies

Re: is email email from dropbox usinng address @yahoo legitimate

Dropboxer
Hi there @J T.14

In general, if there's no activity on your Dropbox account for an extended period of time, Dropbox will notify you in an email. You can find more info about this here

To keep an account active, all you have to do is sign in. However, if you actively use Dropbox but received an email about an inactive account, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Support team for a more in-depth look on the matter.

Hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I still need to know if the email I received is really from Dropbox.  Would a real Dropbox email come from an address that does not refer to Dropbox at all -- a name at yahoo.com??????

Super User II

Email from Dropbox will come from a Dropbox domain name; not Yahoo. Are there links or buttons in the email that you're being directed to click? If so, hover your cursor over one of them (don't click) and look at the address that pops up. It's likely not dropbox.com that it's directing you to. That would be a phishing attempt, leading you to a fake website in an attempt to get you to enter your credentials, which it would then record.

New member | Level 2

Thank you.  I suspected that.  The email had both a button and a url link.  The button did not link to dropbox.  The url looked legit.  Unfortunately I did click the button but when it didn't go to a page that seemed to relate to my account and instead wanted to download Dropbox, I got out.  I have changed my password. 

The 2nd email I got did come from dropbox.com but said I had logged in from a new browser (Firefox) but I've been using Firefox for years -- probably longer than I've used Dropbox.  Was that email also fake?  It wanted me to confirm that it was me using Firefox today.  I am ignoring it.

Super User II

To be safe, ignore it, but Dropbox will identify any browser session where you sign-in as a new browser, even if it's one you've used all along. If you never check the Remember Me option when signing in, you'd get that message on every sign-in.

You can view linked devices and any active web sessions on your Security page.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I received an email and I was wondering if it's legitimate. Can you shed some light?
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post