Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

ICloud Storage Full; Using Dropbox as alternative solution?

New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I have recently had a message from Apple saying that my iCloud storage is full.

Unsurprisingly this is because of my photo archive. I have a 200GB iCloud limit.

What is important to me is that I continue to have a cloud based system which means I can access this bank of photos/vidoes from my various devices (Macbook/ipad/iphone) and additionally that my wife also has this option on her devices. (currently have Family Usage iCloud account)

Given I have a Dropbox Professional Account, I feel like this may be my best solution; essentially moving across the bulk of this 200GB to Dropbox (which has far more space to play with). Is this an option?

And more importantly, can I continue using 'Photos' in IOS across my devices in the same way as I do with iCloud? And if not, what are the key differences?

To reiterate, my overall goal is to have a cloud based system that me and my wife can access, primarily to sync and archive our photos across our multiple devices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

3 Replies

Re: ICloud Storage Full; Using Dropbox as alternative solution?

Dropboxer

Hey there @chriseldergill,

The best method I would recommend to transfer a large amount of data would be through the Dropbox desktop app. You can download the app from here, and once it has been installed, it will create a Dropbox folder on your computer.

To upload data into the Dropbox account you will need to move or copy it into this Dropbox folder. This means that you would have to initially copy the contents from "Photos" on your computer over to the Dropbox folder to upload them to your account.

If you're mostly taking photos from a mobile iOS device, then you can install the Dropbox mobile app and allow automatic camera uploads to upload your photos right from your camera roll to your Dropbox account. If you already have a back up of the current photos on your computer, you can enable camera uploads only for new photos so you don't get any duplicates.

However, I do have to mention, as you would like to share this account with your wife that it's against our Terms of Service to share your account credentials (sign in details).

I hope this info helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi there,

Thanks for the initial advice and i've had partial success.

Success in that I have now transferred my photo library across to Dropbox.

However, my devices are no longer syncing the photo library, which is a fundamental problem.

For example, i've made changes to my photo library (which is now situated in Dropbox) on my Macbook Pro, but when i'm using 'Photos' on my IPad or my Iphone, this changes are not being seen.

Please help! 

Thanks
Chris

Dropboxer

Hey @chriseldergill,

I'm glad to hear that you've been successful so far!

Can you let me know the current sync status of your desktop app? If you're seeing any errors there then please send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the error shown.

Also, can you let me know if any errors show when you check the following:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "View sync issues".

Finally, if you check your Dropbox account online, do you see the changes made on the desktop there?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

ICloud Storage Full; Using Dropbox as alternative solution?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post