cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Highlighted

Impossible to delete DropBox account

New member | Level 2

Just want to delete my account, which contains no filed but the initial welcome files!! I created it  the with the Android app, used the Google connector. I realized within 5 minutes that DB had none of the functionality I need. So I have been  trying for a day to delete my account, but this is IMPOSSIBLE. It insists that I must set a password, and to set a password it says it must send me an email - BUT THE &^$&^$ THING WILL NOT SEND THE EMAIL. It just pops up either "error sending email" or "too many failed attempts try later"

Good grief!

GET ME OUT OF HERE

7 Replies

Re: Impossible to delete DropBox account

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear you're having issues with this @FatedOx!

From what I understand you'd like to completely remove your Dropbox account from our system. To do this, please follow this link: 

https://www.dropbox.com/account/delete 

Should you get an error doing that, please send me a screenshot so I can send you the most appropriate next steps. 

Just keep in mind that once you've canceled your account, there is no way for you or Dropbox to recover that account. Please make sure any files you want to keep from Dropbox are saved to your computer before you cancel your account.

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

DZ New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Good luck.  I been a month trying to downgrade my account from a business account to their standard account.  After I chatted with the online representative who assured me that would be done and I would loose only features and not files I thought I had succeeded.  Since then it has been a nightmare of lost files, inability to sign into any of my dropbox accounts, can't download or move files.  This is absolutely the worst service I can imagine.  Tech support is not good either.  I wish I had never moved from Evernote to Dropbox.

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about this @DZ - I'll be happy to help. 

Do you see anything reflecting those actions in your events page? Also, as you said you're not able to sign into your account, would you mind sharing a screenshot of the error(s) you get?

Thanks in advance for your response and apologies for any inconvenience this might have caused so far. 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue. I signed up to hear a friends tune. linked up with google and then i have no password to delete the account.  what is that i saw as i clicked accept too quickly about you able to delete my contacts???

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear that @jax0  - are you getting any errors when clicking on the delete option from your account's settings page? Could you share a screenshot so I can have a better view of the matter at hand?

Also, where did you get this message about the contacts you mention? 

Any additional information will be much appreciated!

Walter

No option to delete account

New member | Level 2

Supposedly there is a delete account option under general settings. Screenshot below.

Screenshot (22).png

Tested with other web browsers as well. Has it been moved?

Re: No option to delete account

Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @fakename1999!

So from what I can see, it looks like your account is part of a team from the option showing in the bottom left corner of the web page. Is it possible that your account is part of a free team after cancelling a Business subscription or trial?

Can you try following the steps in this article here and then try again to delete your account?

Let me know how it goes - thanks!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Daphne

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Impossible to delete DropBox account
7 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post