Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Is Dropbox forcing me in to a different account by joining a team?

Explorer | Level 3

Im being asked to join a team account and the option to keep my own is completely unclear - something that is common in my Dropbox experience.  I do not want to merge my existing account with them but the other option is to start a whole new account that I don't want or need.  If I choose that option, what happens to my existing account and all my files?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Is Dropbox forcing me in to a different account by joining a team?

Super User II

You've likely been sent an invitation to join someone's Business account. In doing so, your account will be merged into the Business account, occupying one of their licenses. When this happens, the account belongs to the business. You no longer own it. Any remaining time on a paid account is refunded back to the payment method on file.

The choices you're seeing are to join the team with your account and merge it, or join the team with your account and move your existing data into a new account which will remain yours. In both cases, your original account becomes part of the Business account.

If you don't want this to happen, give the business a different email address (create a free one if needed) and ask them to send the invite to the new address. You'll be able to create a new Dropbox account with the new email and then join their team with that. The existing invitation is only good for the email address it was sent to, so they need to re-invite you using a different email.

Explorer | Level 3

Okay, this answers my question but this needs to be added to the description provided at the point of choosing.  Nowhere does it also explain the email address as being key to the process and that either option completely terminates the existing account under that specific email address.  

I have run into this before with Dropbox, small, but critical details that are left out in the explanation process, leaving many without fully understanding the options.  

Explorer | Level 3

Now my client has sent an invite for me to join the team with a different email.  Problem is that I do not see a way to join their team with that email, while still using my own personal account in the same app, both of them completely separate.  

How do I do this?

Dropboxer

Hello @AVStudios

These are the options you have when joining a team.

Screenshot 2019-09-17 at 12.35.14 AM (edited-Pixlr).png

Please let me know how this could be more straight forward. 

Here is also a Help Center article describing the process and your options step by step. 

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

For starters, there is no option to add a secondary email to my plus account, under the settings/preferences/general tab.  Secondly, as I understand it, this requires me to place my current account into the business account I am invited to, not allowing me to keep them entirely separate.  It looks like they can be separate, but my personal account has to be moved AND the business now has access to it.  Am I missing something?

Dropboxer

I am afraid I might be missing something. 

What do you mean " AND the business now has access to it. "  ? Did you join the team already? If so, let me know and we will take it from there. 

If not click the option on your left. This option will do it. If you then wish to change the email assigned to the team account, simply visit the settings. 

As for your secondary email, I will kindly ask you to respond to the original post you created about this. It is not realted to joining a team. So I will respond there to further troubleshoot this with you @AVStudios

Thanks!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Super User II

I think what you really want to do is join the team using a different email address, so that you neither have to merge your existing account into the team, nor move your files to a new account.

Create a new email address (or use another one that you already have, if available) and ask the team admin to send the invite to that new email address instead (team invites are specific to the email they're sent to).  When you join the team with that email, you'll be able to create a new Dropbox account to use with the team, leaving your existing personal account alone.

Once you've joined the team with the new account, you can connect a personal account to the team account, which allows you to sync both the personal and team account to the same computer, while also keeping them both completely separate (connecting accounts DOES NOT give the team access to your account).

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is Dropbox forcing me in to a different account by joining a team?
7 Replies
2 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post