Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Price increase; let me explain what your marketing "experts" just did;

Helpful | Level 6

I am quite sure they did the math to determine what would let them compete, unlike you.

New member | Level 2

I am also about to cancel my account, after years of being a customer. I have a OneDrive subscription already with my MS account, and I also have an iCloud account for my photos (because I was never happy with how slow and clunky the Dropbox photos were). So, since I am using only 8% of my storage here, this is enough to spur me into action to break up with Dropbox. 

It's not me, Dropbox, it's definitely you. 

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 5

@bjg37  They certainly have the right to change whatever plan they have after each billing period.

Similarly, it is also perfectly legal for all of their customers to change to their competition. This is not a question about legality, but about what is reasonable to pay for this kind of service.

Helpful | Level 5

OneDrive is 1TB basically free if you have Office 365 subscription. 

Helpful | Level 6

FWIW I've been using pCloud for a few days and, so far, I'm pretty happy with it. It took a little while to copy all my Dropbox stuff over, but I didn't have to sit and watch it happen. The Linux client for pCloud is rather different from that for Dropbox, both in its presentation to the user and the way it works internally. I can't comment on the Windows client yet, because I haven't so far used it (but I will shortly).

pCloud potentially offers a security benefit over DB, in that it can store customer's files in a format that is invisible to the service. DB encrypts, but on its own terms, and in a way that the service provider can still see file contents if they want. I don't know how many people need this extra security and, for my part, I don't want to pay extra for it.

Options are limited for folks who have to accomodate Linux -- only DB and pCloud provide their own Linux clients, so far as I know. Google Drive doesn't have one, for example.

I confess that, on the whole, I prefer DB's software and service to pCloud. But pCloud does exactly what I need, and nothing more, and its fees are much more palatable.

Lars.

Star Collaborator | Level 17

@lars_the_bear wrote:

Options are limited for folks who have to accomodate Linux -- only DB and pCloud provide their own Linux clients, so far as I know. Google Drive doesn't have one, for example.

Yes, many providers don't support well Linux still, but there are many others which already such support and probably their number will grow up. Definitely DB and pCloud are not the only!

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 6
Certainly. I'm quite sure they thought about this as well slightly smiling face

New member | Level 2

Hello Dropbox,

If you raise your rates $20/year you should give people a lower price option.  Many of us don't need 2 TB.  I really like Dropbox, but it is super top-down corporate creepy to tell people to  pay more or leave.  I'm seeking alternatives right now.  Is that what you want?  If corporations are people, where is your soul?

Joy

New member | Level 2

This is exactly the comparison I find myself doing. I've been with Dropbox for over 10 years, and it's excellent. I even want to pay for the service I've been receiving. But now I have to pay more per month just to sync files than I do for the whole of Microsoft Office?

There has to be a tier above free, that provides basic functionality and costs the same as a cup of coffee a month. Charge me $2.50 and give me 25GB or even more, charge 10c (or 10p or 0.1€) per Gig, make it a variable rate. See how many people are prepared to pay it. You might be surprised

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

I´m a dropbox user for more than 10 years, many of them as a subscriber of the Plus plan. Today I use about 300gb of storage, and of that, only about 100gb are really usefull, I could delete the rest.

I was already upset to pay for 1Gb that I don´t use, and now dropbox forces me to pay MORE for something I will surely NOT use.

Dropbox, please, don´t get me wrong, I love dropbox but this upgrade is insane. You should definitely provide smaller plans (100Gb, 250Gb, 500Gb,  1Tb, 2Tb) or even better, something you could chose the size, like $X per 10GB.

I never thought before of changing, but dropbox is becoming very expensive, not only increasing its price but especially for users worldwide (like me), in the last 2 years the USD has doubled its valued compared to our local currency (I´m from Brazil).

Think about it or soon old users will start to move to the competition.... I´ve just canceled my auto renew in Jan2020...

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
330 Replies
934 Likes