Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Здравко,

Thank you very much for your explanation! Now my next question: on computer #1 I have folder XYZ on drive C:, but on computer #2 I have the same folder XYZ on drive D:. Is pCloud able to correctly sync XYZ folders on these computers?

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Star Collaborator | Level 17
Local sync point is entirely on Your choice. Be careful when match local points to corresponding points in virtual drive. In the drive directory structure is always same. Hope that helps.

Helpful | Level 6

OneDrive looks fine, but one thing I really don't like about it is that when you share a file with someone using a public link, it reveals the complete path to your file instead of just the file name. And I don't want people to know about how I organize my files when I share one with them.

So because of that, I am looking into the other options and I might go with Google Drive. One reason though I have to not go with Google is that they already have so much info on us that I really would like to not give them more of my data.

But as it was already stated here, it is pretty obvious that Dropbox is ditching its private home users with this recent move, so I really gotta choose another option before the end of my billing cycle.

Helpful | Level 6

pCloud Review

I was in the process of trialling pCloud when Dropbox did its “upgrade”. My purpose was to get decent cloud service on Linux, (Dropbox has caveats such as must be Ext4 file system, must not have encryptfs on the home folder, smart sync not available).

pCloud on Linux Mint is good. It performs equally on MacOS and Windows. It uses a Fuse drive on Mac and Linux. I have set up file sync to folders on each machine. These folders behave as local sync does in Dropbox or OneDrive.

I have not tried it with an encryptfs home folder yet.

If you wanted to recreate a traditional Local Sync you could have one dedicated folder on each computer and add this as a local sync to pCloud. Or make folders within for selective syncing. With the added bonus that everything is available in the pCloud drive when on the internet.

pCloud backed up my 40 GB Dropbox, while I slept, in a server to server transfer that did not use my ISP allowance. It says it will back it up again in one month.

If Dropbox dumps private individuals either directly or by the stealth of pricing us out of their ecosystem, I can turn on automatic uploads in pCloud per mobile device for new photos only.

I had a question about the number and types of device I could use and pCloud support replied the same day with no restrictions on the number of devices, with a caution about virtual machines being unsupported. This was before I paid for premium service!

I still prefer the way Dropbox labels my photos and provides metadata with a map in the info. If Dropbox is still letting basic users have three devices when my subscription ends in October; I may keep it on one Mac, one Windows (or Android) and one iPhone. Then have pCloud back it up, which can also be run manually at will.

For what it is worth the increase in price amounts to $185AU minus $$140AU; $45 a year. Or $3.75 a month or $0.12 a day.

Cold economics says keep Dropbox. It is the underhanded way they did it that irks me. And their lazy attitude to Linux.

Collaborator | Level 9

danilofaria: OneDrive shared links are encoded and secure, but yes your right that the path is displayed on webpage content when opened. If however the file is previewable like a PDF or Word document, then the path is hidden. Looking on the Microsoft website, it is on the list to be fixed soon.

But there is a simple workaround for now. Simply create a root directory called "Shared" in OneDrive. Then copy any files into this directory that you want to share. This way you know your original files are safe and that the shared files are simply a working copy. Now when you shared the files, they only see "Shared" and not your full directory structure. And you can also quickly get rid the shared files by deleting them.

Highlighted

Dropbox plus

New member | Level 2

Dropbox just updated me to dropbox plus ( withouit asking) and will charge m e20,88 euros more per year. Is there any way to cancell this? I am thinking to cancell my account, whatc will happen with my files?

Helpful | Level 6

The virtual P: drive ($HOME/pCloudDrive on Linux) represents files that are _not_ stored on your computer. If you want to store files locally and in the cloud, you need to configure sync relationships between specific local and remote directories.

The virtual drive concept has one huge advantage, for me at least: I don't sync all my content on all my comptuers. For example, I have a load of work-related stuff that I don't need on my home computers. Even though I don't store these files locally on my home computers, I can still read them from the virtual drive, should I need to, without explicitly syncing them.

This arrangement suits me better than Dropbox, which only recognizes one huge folder on each computer. I don't have to sync all folders but, if I don't, I can't even see what content is in the folders I don't sync, except by going to their website.

Having said that, I can see how if I set up a pile of arbitrary sync relationships between pCloud and assorted local directories, I could easily get into a situation where I can't remember which files are stored locally and which remotely. The uncertainty here is not in the operational model of pCloud, but in my limited brainpower. I just need to be systematic about what directories I sync.

Re: Dropbox plus

Dropboxer

Hey @Agrama, I can see that you’ve now chatted in to my colleague via our Official Support channel regarding this subscription-specific matter. I’ve made a note of your comments here on your existing correspondence, however please feel free to get back in touch with my co-worker should you have further inquiries, as they have direct access to your account specifics. Thanks again! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 7

How do you actually verify that everything is uploaded? "You can see all content"? Really? so you can just visually look and verify that thousands of files are actually in the P-drive? That's quite the skill. Personaly speaking, I have to use a tool to do that actual verification. Something like "Beyond Compare" by scooter Software, which I can do with Dropbox or Onedrive, but you cannot do this with a virtual drive. I wish I sould just look and “see all content”, but somehow I am unable.

Helpful | Level 6

I'm a 2008 Dropbox user, in France, just using a minimal service along the year, 500 Gb approximately, exchanging files with my colleagues through Dropbox, and syncing with my 2 Macs and iPhone.
I'm going to get away because of your arrogance as you say that if I don't agree with your price increase… I can go to hell, **bleep**, that's all !

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
329 Replies
933 Likes