Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Dropboxer
Hey @Mjölktröjan, I went ahead & sent you a brief message on my end through our Official Support channel; feel free to touch-base with me there & we can discuss that in a bit more detail. Thanks! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 5

I’ve read through most of these comments and I must say, I’m somewhat shocked by the outrage. 

I am also a longtime Dropbox user (on the plus plan) and, like many of you, I wasn’t fully using my 1TB. So I get the frustration with the price hike for storage that isn’t really needed. Fine. 

However, from my experience, Dropbox is far and away the best option out there. I use it constantly. I use it to store all my files, edit my files, access things remotely on mobile (constantly) and keep everything synced on all of my computers. I use OneDrive and Google Drive too and I honestly think they suck.

I get that no one likes to pay $20 more per year for something, but this doesn’t strike me as rising to the level of outrage being expressed on this thread. I get far more value from Dropbox every year than the $120 I’m now slated to pay. Netflix, Microsoft and others seems to tweak my pricing every other year and I don’t really hold it against Dropbox for doing the same - especially given that I think they provide a ton of value.

Finally, the disgruntled comments about Dropbox only doing this because of their shareholders/stock price is silly imo. Yes, they are a company and just like every other company they are tasked with increasing their earnings. They are charging more because they want to increase their earnings and employ smart people.  You don’t want to pay more because you want to increase your earnings. Neither one is inherently wrong. However, given that they haven’t increased prices in some time, this doesn’t seem crazy. Yes, some plain vanilla storage alternatives are cheaper for less storage (not really cheaper per TB), but you get what you pay for and I’d be very reluctant to store all of my stuff anywhere else. OneDrive will lose your stuff. Google Drive is a disaster for Miscrosft files. The others may not be around in the future. 

Ideally, Dropbox would find a way to introduce a plan at a lower price with less features to accommodate everyone. Hoepfully, they’ll work that out. In the meantime, I’m surprised that such a loyal community of users have gotten so nasty. It strikes me that Dropbox has given away a lot completely for “free” over the years and I still feel like I’m getting more in value than what I’m paying.  

Dropboxer

Hey @GS321, your ➕ input is valuable to us & it means a lot that you took the time to share your feedback on this conversation 🙏🏻; if you’re still following this thread, I’d like to send you this little something to keep your positive energy flowing.

As usual, please feel free to ping us back here if you have any follow-up Dropbox questions & we’d be delighted to work with you!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

I wonder what part this price increase plays in the precipitous fall in the value of Dropbox stock since July?

I've completely moved to pCloud now, but I retain a hope that Dropbox will see sense and re-introduce a lower-cost, lower-storage option.

Frankly, I prefer the service Dropbox offers to that of pCloud, but I don't think Dropbox is _twice_ as good, and it's twice the price.

Helpful | Level 5

Good Lord, yes! I'm with a lot of the folks on here. Dropbox is great, but its either a drinking straw or a firehose.  I dont need 2TB, and really dont want to pay an extra $60 for it.  So it's time for me to move on too. Service has been wonderful, but I'll just be using the free dropbox from renewal time, and using ofther (cheaper) services for cloud storage.   

Helpful | Level 5

@ Tim. Where do you get $60 from? My pricing went up $20 from $100 to $120 per year for the Plus Plan. And it looks like for those that were monthly their pricing is unchanged if they simply switch to annual. I’m with you on not wanting to pay more but $20 imo is fine given how bad I think the alternatives are relative to Dropbox. 

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hi @GS321,

How "bad" or good is some "alternative" "relative to Dropbox", is very very relative to what exactly You are looking for. Don't forget this when you make some conclusions! Different people have different needs and balance price-quality is strongly affected from this.

New member | Level 2

I didn't know about that. Thanks for sharing this info :o

Helpful | Level 5

Slight error. I misspoke quoting from memory.  My pricing went from CAD 109 to CAD 155.88.  A 43% increase in pricing. Certainly a big enough jump that I'm not happy. Sure, I'm getting 'extra' storage (that I'll never use) and other Dropbox services/tools (that I will also never use) but its no longer a bargain for me.  

Helpful | Level 6

So has anyone found a way around the rediculous price hike yet? It's a $60 increase in Australia (which is 50% of the cost) for stuff I don't need, want or will ever use.

Why not bundle the "extras" none of us want? I was happy to pay the extra for the version history as that's something I'll use. Another TB of storage and other "features" such as smart sync (which have been available for a long time anyway) are not worth a 50% price hike.

As a l long term subscriber I'm holding out hope there is something more reasonable in the works because otherwise I'm going to have to swap out to another service.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
322 Replies
907 Likes