Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Collaborator | Level 9

ArthurSilv291: Apologies, the quoted comment was not rendered in the email I received, but on the website, I can now see it is. So sorry I thought you wrote that comment. My point was simply to say, that for people who are brainwashed on years of Dropbox, to call certain other services as a disaster and loss of files, in which I know is not true, does not really help anyone on here to find the right solution that they are seeking. As you pointed out, the words “loss of files” is an important subject for anyone, but when drilling down to the person’s issue, you quickly find out it’s down to their personal environment, training, usage etc, and not the service itself. So I am only saying such comments scare people off, some services out there that are worth at least demoing out for themselves.

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 5

@GS321the price increase was most definitely being applied to annually billed accounts too.

Helpful | Level 5

@ditchDolphin Yep, i know - annual price went up. I was saying that if you were monthly before and now switch to annual, your total price doesn’t change. It’s still cheaper to pay annually vs monthly. The total monthly cost is exactly the same had you been monthly and you now decide to switch to annual. If you were already annual then the price went up :-/

Explorer | Level 4

It's high handed, brutal, autocratic ...  You have my total sympathy, for one.

New member | Level 2

I totally agree.  It's not just the price increase that annoys me (I know that investment, cost in developing and maintaining the product/service, inflation etc are factors)... it's the 2TB 'all or nothing' proposition.

For me, Dropbox works perfectly - it functions exactly how I want, it's customisable, flexible, and highly reliable... I just don't need 2TB.  Heck, I didn't need 1TB, but I was willing to overlook this as the price was reasonable.

My subscription expires in February 2020, so I guess it's in Dropbox Ltd's hands.  They still have time to listen to their customers before a lot let their subscriptions run out. 1TB or 2TB sounds like a great idea in this day and age with all the data we're using, but no one company has a monopoly in this market: iCloud, Lightroom, Office 365 / OneDrive and we often use a mixture of products to suit our usage.

So what will I be doing if nothing changes?  I'll be moving my Dropbox files over to my 200GB iCloud storage.

Explorer | Level 4

I agree - like you the 2TB is twice what I need. I did make an approach thru and email and was offered the next 12 months at the previous year's price. In the next year I will evaluate my options. So as of the 31st I have been billed $152.15Aus for the next 12 months.

I, like you, believe they should be offering a weighted plan with less TB.

Collaborator | Level 9

CTYank: There are many options out there for storage space, in which people have posted on this thread. Some are virtually free and others have a cheaper subscription price than DropBox. For instance One Drive in AUS is $99 for 1TB, so you instantly save $53.15 AUS. Others maybe be cheaper. Although your subscription has just renewed, they will allow you to cancel it and refund your money. Once cancelled, your files are not deleted straight away, so this gives you time to switch over. It is just storage space, and there are better offers out there! It's a bit like saying, would you switch your electricity supplier if you could save $53.15 or more? As they are still supplying the same thing.

Re: I don't want 2TB.

New member | Level 2

Yes. I'm furious. I've never heard of a service that automatically upgrades, after you've signed for one thing, at an additional price. Where will it end? How much does Dropbox really want to charge people? This is a textbook example of tech companies that grow their business by offering a free service and then once they hit a predetermined number, they simply lower the boom. Except this is even worse, since Dropbox apparently intends to continue raising the price... and raising the price... and raising the price. The "extra services" nonsense is particular condescending. I don't WANT extra services. That's the point.

New member | Level 2

Basically Evernote is doing the same thing, increases with little gain. 

Highlighted

Collaborator | Level 8

After more than 10 years using Dropbox it is time to move to another service.

Dropbox plus yearly price of $119,88 is absurd. It was already expensive and I was delaying the change because I love dropbox but this is it, time to move and say goodbye.

Even worst because I´m from Brazil, I can buy Microsoft OneDrive with 1Tb (together with Office 365 personal, and I won´t use office, just onedrive) for $24.75 a year in Brazil (it´s a local price in our currency). That is, almost 1/5th of dropbox price.

Dropbox doesn´t care about us, if they did they would be offering 500Gb/1Tb plans, offering plans in your local currency and everything else all major cloud companies are already doing.  But they don´t, they just INCREASE the already very expensive price.

It´s SAD, dropbox is superior but they must learn the truth that, in the end, for 99% of the consumers (even those that understand that dropbox is superior), what really matters is MONEY, specially when the price difference is HUGE (5x)

In a year or two they will realize that and will be offering everything that we´re asking in this post, but it will be TOO LATE. They will also learn that people won´t go back...

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
329 Replies
933 Likes