Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 6

There are plenty of alternatives out there.

There sure are. The new pricing pushes my plan with extended recovery out to $238.57 a year or $19.88/month. That puts Dropbox at higher than Microsoft's Office 365 Business Premium plan which comes in at $17.20/month. Office 365 Business Premium includes...

• Office Suite
  • Exchange Online (via domain BYO Domain)
  • OneDrive (1TB storage)
  • Skype for Business
  • SharePoint
  • Online video conferencing with up to 250 participants
  • 24/7 phone support
  • ....the features really do go on

This is how Dropbox is pricing themselves right now...

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 6

I've used this plan for over 4 years and I've been quite happy with it. Also barely using half of my storage. I am not happy that I now have to pay 20% extra from the next billing cycle. I've always been a happy user, but for the first time, I start considering alternatives to Dropbox.

Collaborator | Level 8

I agree. The change in price is ridiculous and I too am now considering whether to move.

@DaphneThis is not an 'upgrade' - why can't you be honest and just say "We are increasing the price. And to make up for it here are some extra features"  -  which I don't need/want currently.

It would have been more sensible to have introduced a new plan ... "plus plus" to sit between the existing Professional / Plus plan so you didn't annoy your existing customers.

Helpful | Level 5

wait so dropbox is now charging me 60 bucks more for another tb im not using? i didnt even realize?! what the heck dropbox?      long time customer here....soon to be moving on. i dont need that much storage yet, and when i do, ILL BE THE ONE TO PURCHASE IT

Helpful | Level 6

Was pretty upset at the email I got this morning.  I only use 200G now, I dont need the "uprade".  This isnt how you do things.  Time to start exploring alternatives.

New member | Level 2

Hum, I use about 200Gb of space and the current features are currently fine for our household usage. This is a 42% (!!!) price increase for features we do not need... 

I believe we'll be looking into an alternative service as well right now. 

Helpful | Level 6

You know when I first heard the news about the 2TB upgrade I was super impressed that Dropbox FINALLY wanted to compete with other service providers.  Then I got the email saying the price was going up as well and im like forget this.  Drive is $99/year for 2TB

New member | Level 2

As others have expressed, I think I'm most upset about the use of the word "upgrade". Didn't I already have the ability to:

1. Recover and restore files from the past 30 days?

2. Selectively sync which files and folders are on my computer?

3. Have 2TB of storage?

After years of encouraging people to use their service I might also consider switching...

Dropbox changed the plan to only allow three devices and the lowest tier is $15/month

Helpful | Level 7

Dropbox changed the plan to only allow three devices and the lowest tier is $15/month. Not a popular move. Taking away features is just **bleep**ty, and the $15/month is too much for a basic plan. I will be working to move all of my Dropbox usage to Onedrive.

So long. 

Re: Dropbox changed the plan to only allow three devices and the lowest tier is $15/month

Collaborator | Level 8

@dropbox - this is not a popular move, only compounded by a fairly dreadful phrasing of 'upgrade' rather than a more honest approach.

You *really* need to feedback to management that customers are not happy - I have been looking and onedrive offers a far better pricing structure.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
322 Replies
904 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post