Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Re: Dropbox changed the plan to only allow three devices and the lowest tier is $15/month

Helpful | Level 7

I expect Dropbox will be losing a lot of users. If they offered a more resonably priced base package, I'd stay, but for me, Onedrive is a much better option. Reduce the price by 1/3, and I'm bettting people with stay, but at close to $200 a year, I'm gone and won't be back. 

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

New member | Level 2

They know all of that, especially the bit where it's difficult to turn off/transfer files out. We're being fully [profanity removed by moderator] over, a 30%+ price hike for totally unwanted features is indefensible...voting with my feet, bye ripbox. 

Re: Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?

Helpful | Level 6

I came across this thread whilst I was Googling to find out whether other people are as annoyed by the price increase as I am. I don't need the additional storage -- I use less than half my allocation already -- and the much-vaunted 'smart sync' doesn't work with Linux, so that's no use to me.

To be honest, DropBox's charges were already at the limit of what I was prepared to pay. Now they're over the limit, so I'm moving to pCloud.

Lars.

New member | Level 2

Like everyone else in this stream I am also fuming! I already pay an expensive subscription charge for the 86GB I currently use only out of 1TB of possible storage, but I was happy enough to pay the £79 a year subscription charge for the ease of keeping my dropbox account once I had too many files and pictures for the free account and for the ease of being able to link the account to our home laptops, work computer and phones for ease of uploading/backinging up/syncing my pictures and working documents to one account - but to now be told there is no alternative than to pay the increased price at my next renewal of now almost £100 a year for more storage space that I don't need and won't be able to use is too much!  OK if you want to offer it to people as an upgrade option, but don't remove the original smaller storage amount and slightly lower fee for those that can barely scrape the surface of 1TB.  You'll be losing a lot of customers and I'll probably be one of them, which is very sad seeing as I have been a loyal customer paying for dropbox pro/dropbox plus 1TB storage for the last 5 years.

Helpful | Level 6

I guess we could turn this thread into a discussion about what better options we have for cloud storage. I hand't heard of pCloud, will look into it. I've been considering using Google Drive since it has a lot of very cheap options. Since I still have some months before the end of my current Dropbox billing cycle, I will try around some options to see which one I will migrate too. 

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @aimeemaloney,

For many cloud services (You can choose transfer to) there is no need to have big local storage or fast network. Many competitors provides option to import content from another service, like from Dropbox. So, the transfer is carried directly between services... winking face

New member | Level 2

Another user here that uses far less than the 1 TB already provided...no need or desire for a 2TB 'upgrade'. Not at all happy with the price increase; time to seriously figure out a switch to another service. Already partly there and there are features I'll miss but the manner in which Dropbox has rolled out this crazy price increase is not sitting well with me

Helpful | Level 6

Unfortunately, DB knows too well that the “inertia effect” will lead most of us to stay with them, even as we grumble.  In DB’s favor is that it “just works,” in a way that other cloud services don’t (at least in my experience).  In particular, DB’s sync-across-devices is the best I’ve personally used. But, I, too, will look at alternatives and see if I come up with anything I like better.

I wouldn’t say that I’m “furious” or “fuming” (a company certainly has the right to increase prices, and one can’t complain about the amount of advance notice), but it certainly does lead me to question the value proposition.

Helpful | Level 6

Im not so sure about the last post.  I have a few months left in my plan and am slowly moving to Drive.  Its just as good and much more resonably priced.  What dropbox has done here is nonsense and is simply an attempt to raise the stock price.  I've no doubt they will lose a lot of customers for this.

Explorer | Level 4

This is a terrible business move. I use 460GB of my current 1TB. I'm not paying more for a 2TB plan. I'm outraged too. Time to start moving everything off dropbox guys.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is anyone else furious at the upgrade to 2TB and extra $60 a year without consent?
342 Replies
991 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post