cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you see who downloaded a shared file from Dropbox?

Can you see who downloaded a shared file from Dropbox?

hetricga
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

is it possible to see who downloaded a document in my shared file folder? My past employer is saying i downloaded a file and is saying they have proof.. is this possible. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @hetricga - much appreciated.

So you removed your access from the said shared folder and by accident you accessed a file within it before doing so - correct?

Note that any shared file that currently is saved in your Dropbox will show viewer info and this includes files in shared folders and files that have a shared link to them too.

With viewer info, you can see if someone is currently looking at a file. And, depending on the Dropbox plan you have, you may also be able to see when someone last viewed a file.

Only members with ‘Can edit’ and ‘Can view’ permissions will appear though. If anyone has access to the content via a shared link they will only show as a guest.

You can read more about this here: 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/viewer-information

I hope this clears things up to some extent. 

PS: If you need account specific assistance, you can reach out to our Support team directly from the following page: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @hetricga  - how are you today?

I'm not really sure I understand the matter at hand here, could you elaborate for me?

I'm ony asking because members of shared folders are able to view, download and edit (even delete) files from shared folders if they've been given edit rights to begin with. 

Thanks in advance for your response and please feel free to include any additional information you think might help our investigation. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hetricga
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I was never removed as a person who could download, edit or share. I went into the dropbox to remove myself a couple months later and tapped on a file by accident. I am sure this is the notification they recieved. I am now being told that i downloaded a file and they will be taking action. Is it possible to view who downloaded a file or viewed a file with a date within a shared folder.. or tell if it was downloaded or just viewed?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the additional information @hetricga - much appreciated.

So you removed your access from the said shared folder and by accident you accessed a file within it before doing so - correct?

Note that any shared file that currently is saved in your Dropbox will show viewer info and this includes files in shared folders and files that have a shared link to them too.

With viewer info, you can see if someone is currently looking at a file. And, depending on the Dropbox plan you have, you may also be able to see when someone last viewed a file.

Only members with ‘Can edit’ and ‘Can view’ permissions will appear though. If anyone has access to the content via a shared link they will only show as a guest.

You can read more about this here: 

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/viewer-information

I hope this clears things up to some extent. 

PS: If you need account specific assistance, you can reach out to our Support team directly from the following page: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Walter
dropbox.com/support

hetricga
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you so much!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

hetricga New member | Level 2
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?