Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?

New member | Level 1

I have a folder that is shared with a bunch of co-workers. One sub-folder of this is a bunch of python code that the users will be running on their own machines. 

I'd like to be able to write-protect the code-folder so that users aren't accidentally writing over the code and things like that. Is it possible in dropbox? 

I understand that I can make a new top-level folder, share that with write permissions, but I'd like to put this in a place that is more logical for the users.

2 Replies

Re: Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?

Super User II

I'd like to be able to write-protect the code-folder so that users aren't accidentally writing over the code and things like that. Is it possible in dropbox? 

No. You can specify view-only access to the entire share, but not individual sub-folders of the share.

Re: Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?

Super User

As a workaround, you can download and install BoxCryptor. It's free up to 2GB if I remember well.

With this app, you will have an special folder (BoxCryptor) and everything inside is encrypted.

Only you will have access to this folder (with a password) and the app installed on your PC.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is it possible to write-protect a subfolder?
2 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post