Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Joining accounts giving admin access.

New member | Level 2

Hello, a client of mine opened a Dropbox account and I was sent an invite. I opened it and it recogniz d that I already have a Dropbox account. When I logged in I was given the open to join the team folder. They could join this team folder with my current account or keep my account private but I'd have to change my email address. I don't know what to do. I just want to be able to access their folder to see or download files they've loaded, I don't want to give them admin access to my own account. Please advise.

1 Reply

Re: Joining accounts giving admin access.

Super User II

They've invited you to join their Business account team. If you chose to do so with your own account, your personal account will be merged into the Business account using one of their licenses. Essentially, your account will belong to them. If you choose to keep your account private, you'll need to assign a different email address to your personal account, and a new account will be created using your original email. That new account would join the Business team, leaving the files in your personal account private.

If you don't want to do either of those options, ask them to send you an invitation to a shared folder, instead of an invitation to join their team. You'll be able to access anything in the share without joining their team.

If they want you to join the team, give them a different email address to send the invitation to (a team invite can only be used for the email address it was sent to). They can cancel the initial invitation and re-invite you with the new email.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Joining accounts giving admin access.
1 Reply
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post