Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Lock access from broken laptop

Explorer | Level 4

My 3 month old laptop died yesterday and am going to take it to store for replacement. Am concerned that if someone manages to revive it, they would have automatic access to my Dropbox files. Would changing my Dropbox password from my phone solve this? Or, would anyone using that laptop still be automatically signed in?

Thank in advance!

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Lock access from broken laptop

Dropboxer
Hey there @maestoll,

If the desktop app is still signed into your account currently then if the device is “revived” then they could potentially access your Dropbox files providing that the current settings haven't been reset in the process.

Changing the password for your Dropbox account automatically updates for any devices that are currently signed into the account. So what I would suggest if you’re concerned someone could access the files is to unlink the device from your Dropbox account. When doing so, you’ll have the option to remote wipe the files from that device when the app comes online.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4
Thanks so much! I followed your directions and unlinked the laptop from my Dropbox account.

Dropboxer
No problem @maestoll, I’m glad I could help put your mind at ease!

If you have any other questions about this then don’t hesitate to let me know here, I’m more than happy to help. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Lock access from broken laptop
3 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post