Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Helpful | Level 5

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

Tags (1)
59 Replies

Re: Incorrect "need more space" email

Helpful | Level 6

Hi there, I know this is an older thread, but I am having the exact same problem. The wording of the email I got is the same as well: "This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape."

I checked my free Dropbox space online and via the app: online it says I have 32.42 GB free, in the app (Mac) it says I have  48% of 62.4 GB free. Either way, I have PLENTY of space left...  and yes, the email address is the one I personally use for my Dropbox Account.

Can I safely ignore this email?

Thanks & cheers

Re: Incorrect "need more space" email

New member | Level 2

Just got the same email, but I am only using 2.5gb of 5gb and it's an old account I don't use anymore. I logged into it and verified no rogue files added, so not hacked.  

I'm guessing a glitch. 

Re: Lying email

New member | Level 2

Same here, I'm using 47% of my reserved space and got a similar warning email. What is this, a mistake perhaps? 

Dropboxer

Happy Friday @Fullbore @groovekonna!grinning face with smiling eyes

This usually happens when users have two different emails/accounts and one gets full, but they access the other one on the web and get confused, as the other account they are seeing is not full. 

I am not saying this is the case here. I am only saying that this is common for cases I have handled in the past. person shruggingYou can help me check what is going on there. Please confirm that the email address you received this notification email at, is the same email you have with the account you are checking the space of. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Thanks, and I can confirm I received the email. This the only email I have connected to Dropbox and I have never had more than this one account

Super User

Maybe you want to unsubscribe from space related emails by visiting https://www.dropbox.com/account/notifications and uncheck Email me when I'm running out of space

2019-10-11 at 12.07 PM.png

New member | Level 2

Thanks, but it does not help very much because at the message it warns that

"... your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape"

which is a bit confusing.

New member | Level 2
So, turn off the out-of-space emails and then wonder what happened when your account is locked? That doesn’t seem like a good super-user answer when people are stating they are not out of space.

Maybe DropBox needs to check our actual space instead of sending the email saying it’s almost full.

I use one account, and I achieved bonus space in several ways. I’m using 2.01GB, which would be over the base personal limit of 2GB but it’s only 46% of the 4.63GB I have.

One of the first instructions DropBix suggests when you get this message is to check your used space. You’d think DropBox could do that before sending an email that says your account will be limited.

Helpful | Level 5

But if I was running out of space a warning email would be useful, but not when I'm using <50% of my space!

And Fiona it is the same account.

Dropbox seem to be trying to extort money from their users with scare tactics.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?
59 Replies
68 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post