cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

And I'm back...

Yes, due to a technical issue the emails were incorrectly sent. There are 2 near-quota programs that should only email users +90% of quota, â€‹â€‹it seems since probably around yesterday, that its been running incorrectly and doubled the amount of used bytes... so users that are 40-50% of quota are appearing as 80-100% of quota.

We'll make the change and no further users should receive this email incorrectly after the weekend. 

(I'll try and get it stopped and reconfigured sooner than that of-course, but I just give that timeframe as that's the latest I expect all the updates to take to apply.)

Many thanks for highlighting here and saving other users the pain!

View solution in original post

72 Replies 72

Anna N.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there, I know this is an older thread, but I am having the exact same problem. The wording of the email I got is the same as well: "This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape."

I checked my free Dropbox space online and via the app: online it says I have 32.42 GB free, in the app (Mac) it says I have  48% of 62.4 GB free. Either way, I have PLENTY of space left...  and yes, the email address is the one I personally use for my Dropbox Account.

Can I safely ignore this email?

Thanks & cheers

rkny
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just got the same email, but I am only using 2.5gb of 5gb and it's an old account I don't use anymore. I logged into it and verified no rogue files added, so not hacked.  

I'm guessing a glitch. 

groovekonna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here, I'm using 47% of my reserved space and got a similar warning email. What is this, a mistake perhaps? 

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy Friday @Fullbore @groovekonna!:grin:

This usually happens when users have two different emails/accounts and one gets full, but they access the other one on the web and get confused, as the other account they are seeing is not full. 

I am not saying this is the case here. I am only saying that this is common for cases I have handled in the past. person shruggingYou can help me check what is going on there. Please confirm that the email address you received this notification email at, is the same email you have with the account you are checking the space of. 

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

groovekonna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, and I can confirm I received the email. This the only email I have connected to Dropbox and I have never had more than this one account

Elixir
Super User
Go to solution

Maybe you want to unsubscribe from space related emails by visiting https://www.dropbox.com/account/notifications and uncheck Email me when I'm running out of space

2019-10-11 at 12.07 PM.png

groovekonna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, but it does not help very much because at the message it warns that

"... your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape"

which is a bit confusing.

WPaulBishop
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
So, turn off the out-of-space emails and then wonder what happened when your account is locked? That doesn’t seem like a good super-user answer when people are stating they are not out of space.

Maybe DropBox needs to check our actual space instead of sending the email saying it’s almost full.

I use one account, and I achieved bonus space in several ways. I’m using 2.01GB, which would be over the base personal limit of 2GB but it’s only 46% of the 4.63GB I have.

One of the first instructions DropBix suggests when you get this message is to check your used space. You’d think DropBox could do that before sending an email that says your account will be limited.

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

But if I was running out of space a warning email would be useful, but not when I'm using <50% of my space!

And Fiona it is the same account.

Dropbox seem to be trying to extort money from their users with scare tactics.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    reflog369 Explorer | Level 4
    gtb New member | Level 2
    gplhl72 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?