cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

72 Replies 72

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Of course you are right on what you are saying here @Fullbore  @WPaulBishop @groovekonna if you have already checked the email you received is not correct based on the accounts space calculation. Kindly note, I cannot see your account or the email send, via Community, so was trying to figure out if this is a false notification indeed or some sort of multiple account confusion. 

Apologies for any confusion or inconvenience these notification emails might have caused. Going to check with my team and let you know what is going on soon. No worries. Since your accounts have indeed enough space, everything is functional. 

Thanks for reporting.

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

MsJinnifer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I got the same email today! I have a Dropbox Plus account with 2TB storage. I have only used 3.2GB.

The email addresses me by name, so if this is in fact a scam of some kind as suggested below, there must have been a data breach. If there are a lot of these emails around; they must be:

• alarmist errors, 
  • security problem,
  • some kind of sneaky marketing.

I didn't click the link -- I went straight to my account...

Please can Dropbox investigate properly? Cancelling notification emails is NOT a solution -- as has been pointed out, we would then get no warning of a genuine lack of space.

FormulaRon
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same email. I am...

"Using 1.07 GB of 2.25 GB"

Something is wrong.

MsJinnifer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Fiona,

This is very strange. The email came to an email I don't use for anything online. My Dropbox Plus account uses a different email and I have checked that my Plus account is connected with that email. I have used 3.2Gb of 2 TB on that account.

BUT it turns out that I have an old Basic account that is dormant, which uses the email account in question. So presumably the email refers to this Basic account. But I have put nothing in there since 2017 and I have 1.15 GB of 2.5 GB. So why would I get that email, even for tat account?? My guess is that it is an annoying marketing attempt to get me to upgrade this account. It's alarmist to say 'Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. '  It's hardly out of shape, given my usage and that I have 49% storage remaining!

Ollie B.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I got the same email. I'm using only 6.25GB of 12.98GB in my free acount, i.e., less than half the available space, and I haven't added or removed any large files recently. I have only one Dropbox account, and this message was sent to the email associated with that account.

It doesn't seem to be a phishing scam - the link in the email doesn't send me to a dodgy 3rd-party website, but to a page on the official Dropbox website which says: "You’re almost out of room! Adding another file could fill up your account. Make sure you’ll be able to sync or use your files when you need them." With a button saying "Upgrade now".

But it *does* have the appearance of a scam, in that it is giving me false information (that my Dropbox is nearly full) and using fake scare tactics (that no changes will be saved until I upgrade) to trick me into upgrading to a paid account that I have no need for.

Benefit-of-the-doubt would suggest that this is more likely a mistake than a deliberate scam on Dropbox's part, but it is something that needs looking into as a matter of urgency if these false emails are still going out. I hope you will also be sending a correction and apology to anyone who has already erroneously received one.

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@MsJinnifer happy to know you found a forgotten account! Maybe you have old memories in there! :gift: I was so excited when this happened to me (found an old account of mine). :grinning:

Back to the subject, we are still looking into the notification emails you are all receiving. I will get back to you with more info here. 

Again if your quota online is good, please ignore the email. 

Thanks once more for all your reports. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm one of the Product Operations Managers here at Dropbox, and I'll jump straight on this.

It certainly sounds like something's not quite right. We're investigating to make sure we have the threshold correct, normally atleast 80% of your Dropbox space needs to be used before you'd get an email like that.

Appologies for wasting electrons, and we hope the emails didn't cause too much concern!

I'll loop back here once I get to the bottom of this.

Ross

Anna N.3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I think even if 80% are used, you guys should not be sending out emails saying "Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape." - this sounds like "your Dropbox is completely and totally full, not enough room to sync a single additional file"...

This might confuse users and yeah, some might even upgrade because they don't want to loose sync funcionality 😕

hamilton88
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

same email / problem here - be glad when we can have an explanation please.

Senko13
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just wanted to point out that I am receiving an email warning that my dropbox is almost full when I am only using approx. 40% of the free 2GB provided to me. It also states that it wont save any changes until it's back in shape. I haven't tested whether that is true as I haven't had any activity in my dropbox folder for probably over a year.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    reflog369 Explorer | Level 4
    gtb New member | Level 2
    gplhl72 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?