cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Plans and Subscriptions

Ask the Dropbox Community for help if you have questions about your Dropbox plan or subscription. Find solutions and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Lying email. Why do you say I have no space when I do?

Fullbore
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am using 2.81 GB of 6.75 GB so why did dropbox send this email-

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

72 Replies 72

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Senko13, thanks for highlighting! 

I’ve moved your post (& subscription) under the relevant discussion to keep things consistent & ensure that you’re also receiving the latest updates on progress on this issue. 

At the moment, the relevant team is investigating what could have triggered that & we’ll circle back here with some insight in due time. 

Hopefully my message puts your worries to rest! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

sookoll
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I just got this e-mail:

This is a friendly reminder that your Dropbox is almost full! Sadly, it won't save any new changes until it's back in shape. Upgrade your Dropbox today and get up to 3 TB (3,000 GB) of space and powerful sharing features.

So it is shameless spamming in a hope that somebody will upgrade. It is against GDPR and I hope somebody will sue Dropbox.

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

And I'm back...

Yes, due to a technical issue the emails were incorrectly sent. There are 2 near-quota programs that should only email users +90% of quota, â€‹â€‹it seems since probably around yesterday, that its been running incorrectly and doubled the amount of used bytes... so users that are 40-50% of quota are appearing as 80-100% of quota.

We'll make the change and no further users should receive this email incorrectly after the weekend. 

(I'll try and get it stopped and reconfigured sooner than that of-course, but I just give that timeframe as that's the latest I expect all the updates to take to apply.)

Many thanks for highlighting here and saving other users the pain!

Mark_UK
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That's good news, thanks for that. Good to know this Community and Tech' Sup'  have our backs even for minor hiccups such as this!

I for one will rest easy with the assistance of a coffee and doughnut :coffee: :doughnut:

Ollie B.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm glad you tracked down the problem and are fixing it, but I do think that even if the email is only sent to people whose Dropbox is over 90% full, you should change the wording so that it doesn't falsely imply that the user's Dropbox will not work correctly until it's upgraded. (Assuming that is false - if it's true that you can't save new files to a Dropbox that is over 90% full, that's another issue.)

Fiona
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Ollie B. The problem is that the system notified users that were using less space. Normally it notifies users that have more than 80% as Ross explained. 

The accounts actual space is not affected though. You only received an email with an incorrect notification.

You can upload as much as your account fits. If you have 90% of your storage occupied and the file you want to upload fits in the space left, it will upload successfully.

Feel free to ask more questions. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

cossadonne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same with 48 % used....

AbidM
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
@Ollie B.has a point which escapes your attention. Your email should not state, even when it goes correctly to over 90% used account holder, that no changes to the account will be saved until upgraded. It should rather state changes will not be saved once 100% space has been used.

Brontide
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i also received one of these emails. i still have around 55% of my allocated space free. this does feel like shameless spamming to fool people into upgrading. no one likes to be lied to, particularly by their service provider. i accept that this may have been an honest technical error. if so, will apology emails be sent out tout suite to those who have been affected? it seems the very least you could do, if just to allay the fears of those users who dont frequent community support boards.

MsJinnifer
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Absolutely, @Brontide!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    reflog369 Explorer | Level 4
    gtb New member | Level 2
    gplhl72 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?