Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 6

Regarding the new March 2019 limit of 3 linked devices for Basic (free) users, if I currently have 6 linked devices (3 computers, 2 tablets, 1 phone) and upgrade to a new phone, does that mean that I'll have to unlink 3 devices in addition to the old phone (so that I'm down to 2 linked devices) in order to link the new phone? Or, will I simply be able to unlink the old phone and link the new phone while keeping my other 5 devices linked?

475 Replies

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Knot-Me), as we can only address account-specific matters via our Official Support channel (we’ll need to have direct access to your account internally in order to answer such sensitive requests), I’ve reached out to you directly on my end, as I couldn’t locate an open support request on our system.  

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks again for checking in with us on the Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Jane, thanks for your response. For clarification, let me be clear that the above question is currently a hypothetical one intended to seek clarity from Dropbox. I'm sure there are many (thousands or millions?) of existing users with Basic (free) accounts that currently have more than 3 linked devices. It would be very helpful to know exactly what will happen when we try to update devices (replace an existing phone or tablet, do a clean install of an operating system, etc.). The existing information provided on the Dropbox Help center webpage is fairly vague about this issue. Any additional detail you can provide would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would benefit from the information. Many thanks!

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

A bit more... although I'm not actually updating my phone at the immediate moment, it's very likely that I will be updating one or more devices in the near future. Depending on exactly how Dropbox is implementing the new 3 device limit for existing Basic accounts that currently have more than 3 linked devices, I (and probably MANY others!) will likely need to do some unexpected planning and preparation before doing a device update/upgrade. Clarity from Dropbox would help facilitate that planning and preparation. Again, thanks for any detail you can provide.

Dropboxer
I appreciate it that you circled back to me here (@Knot-Me)! At the moment, I can confirm the information you’ve already referenced; in other words, Basic users have a three device limit as of March 2019. 

From there, let me re-phrase the description in the relevant resource for convenience’ sake: 

More information
If you’ve reached your device limit, you can change which three devices are linked to your account. To do so, unlink devices you don’t want on your account (down to less than three), and then link the devices that you do want. If you're a Basic user and you linked more than three devices prior to March 2019, all of your previously linked devices will remain linked, but you can’t link additional devices.
If you have further concerns, please feel free to reply to me on our email correspondence & I’ll do my best to touch-base with you asap. Thanks! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the clarification, Jane; much appreciated. As an existing Basic user with 6 devices actively linked to my Dropbox account, the change in policy is disappointing although perhaps understandable.

Now for the customer feedback part... I would highly recommend that Dropbox add additional price tiers between free and $10/month to remain competitive with other cloud storage services. For example: $1/month or $10/year; $3/month or $30/year; and $6/month or $60/year. You can figure out how much storage each level gets to be competitive. For me personally, I'd gladly pay $10/year for minimal storage (10-50GB range?) and a 10-device limit to keep using Dropbox as I do now. Anything more than $20/year and I'll find another provider. I'm sure others would find value in $30 or $60/year tiers (or something in that general range).

I fully appreciate that as a business you may need to limit your free offerings. I hope you in turn appreciate that you're going to need to offer more lower-tier options than what you currently provide if you're going to stay competitive.

Super User II

@Knot-Me wrote:

... to remain competitive with other cloud storage services.

Remember that most other popular services with lower cost offerings have other sources of revenue that are used to subsidize their cloud storage offerings. In many cases, their cloud storage is used merely as a way to get you into their eco system. It's used as a feature to their other products.

Apple has their hardware revenue, Google has their ad revenue and Microsoft has their software revenue. Dropbox has... Dropbox. They've tried smaller plans in the past, several times, and they've never been successful.

Helpful | Level 6

@Rich wrote:

Remember that most other popular services with lower cost offerings have other sources of revenue that are used to subsidize their cloud storage offerings.

While that's true, it's also largely (although definitely not entirely; see below re. Google) irrelevant for me as an end user. The question for me is ultimately who provides the best service at a price I'm willing to pay. Dropbox provides a great service and up until now I've been perfectly content with their free tier. With the March 2019 change in policy, it's likely that the free tier will no longer meet my needs. Given the quality of their service I'm more than willing to pay for it, but since I actually need very little cloud storage (5-10GB would easily cover it) I'm not willing to pay very much. What I would really be paying for is the ability to link more than 3 devices at a time.

I won't touch Google's cloud storage or email because of their business model. I prefer Dropbox to OneDrive and iCloud Drive because historically it's just been a much better product. It's not, however, worth $120/year to maintain what I previously got for free. $10/year? Absolutely. $20/year? Maybe. $30/year? Nope. That's just my own personal perspective; your mileage may vary.

Three device limit and multiple accounts on the same device

New member | Level 2

Hi,

I've been happily using Dropbox to sync files between my Desktop and Android phone for years. I have three different Windows User profiles on my desktop (Personal, Work and Development) that all have different shortcuts and optimisations set up, however they all use the same Dropbox login and can share files using dropbox as a common space.

Last week, I acquired a new laptop and tried to install Dropbox on it - however since the three device limit, I've had to remove Dropbox from two of my Windows profiles?

I have three devices. A desktop, a phone, and a laptop. The fact that my desktop has multiple accounts shouldn't limit my dropbox use, since they're all physically on the same device? So how do I get around this? I don't want to restructure my desktop just to work with Dropbox..!!

Thanks,

Re: Three device limit and multiple accounts on the same device

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hi Ben, each computer profile is considered to be a different device, as you need to sign into your account in the app for the files to sync on that profile.

Currently, the only way to remove the device limit would be to upgrade to a paid plan.

Hope this helps to clarify matters.

Jay

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
475 Replies
1,013 Likes
Solved! : See solution