Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 6

Gee, and I just got a new phone. If only I had gotten it last month.

Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to say goodbye to Dropbox if I can't use it on all my devices, as much as it pains me. I've been using Dropbox since 2013, prefering it over every other cloud storage service despite it offering the least free storage.

I use 5 devices, and with my new phone it would be 6. There's just no way for me to comfortably use this anymore I'm afraid. Once I migrate to my new phone I'll have to go with a different cloud storage provider, and that bums me out more than anything.

I really hope you have a change of heart and remove this device limit. There's no need to punish your free users even more than you currently are (starting out with 2 GB is paltry and unusable in 2019, and it requires a lot of work to gain additional free space; that's more than enough of a limit to impose on your free users) and the device limit is literally offering an ultimatum of either going pro, paying for space we don't need, or looking elsewhere.

Helpful | Level 6

Yep this has really scuppered me as well, my work pc crashed a few days ago and I reinstalled Dropbox only to find out it would not link to my account as I had 4 other devices linked, so to get my work pc going with Dropbox I've had to delete my laptop and ipad Dropbox links in order to add the work pc back on. What a pain it is now, I still have all the old files on my laptop and ipad but obvs they wont sync anymore. My only option is to upgrade to 1Tb plus account, I dont need all that space, I have been living with 2.75Gb for years now. The basic limit is capped at 2Gb now (I only have .75 extra through referalls) and it was 2Gb when I first joined the plan I think about 8-10 years ago. Come on you should be making this a better product and at least give lower paid tier levels like Apple do 50gb, 250GB etc - I certainly dont want to be paying £10pm. My other option I thought would be to drop Dropbox and switch to Onedrive as I have 2 personal and business 1Tb accounts but unfortunatley it's not straightforward to have two Onedrive accounts on a PC. Not impressed and will have to keep looking for another solution - maybe I'm just too greedy but there seem to be obstacles put in the way whenever you try to change something.  

Device limit

Helpful | Level 6

Is there a device limit on paid accounts?

Helpful | Level 6

I understand why they are adding the restrictions, because they want to convert free customers to paying customers, which again makes sense, because they have to pay the bills.

But the cheapest plan is simply to expensive compared to the competition. I wouldn't mind paying 2$ for 100GB, like with Google One, but 10$ for 1TB, which I don't need at all, is simply to much.

I guess this is the end of me using Dropbox, if they are not going to add more competive plans.

Re: Device limit

Super User

Hello jezza1505

Thanks for reaching out to us, no there is no limit on how many devices can be linked to your Dropbox account.

Have a good day

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Helpful | Level 6

Nice Dropbox. Now they are starting to censor posts, where people show their concern.

My post was removed with no information at all, just gone. Yeah you are defienlyt not seing me a customer now!.

Highlighted

Super User

Hi  Hoder J

can you tell me the date of the post you posted that you claim that was deleted. I have access to admin console that can tell me info.    Thanks and sorry for this.

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Helpful | Level 5

So, if was to upgrade to plus, would this be unlimited devices?

Or would professional be needed for this?

Thanks

Super User

Sorry guys, I have been away from Dropbox for too long, apparently they changed alot

Sorry Basic accounts, you can link only 3 devices.

https://help.dropbox.com/account/computer-limit

@Shannon90

thats a good question,  The help article just says more than 3.  Might suggest creating a support ticket on this if no official statement is made here.

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks @Chris_J Plus will suffice for what i need in terms of storage and support etc, but i'm reluctant to upgrade if there is a maximum device limit on plus

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
536 Replies
1,060 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey