Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Device limit

Dropboxer

Sorry to butt in; just wanted to add my two cents here.

There won't be a limit to how many devices you can link to your account when on the Dropbox Plus plan Shannon. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Super User II

@Hoder J. wrote:

Nice Dropbox. Now they are starting to censor posts, where people show their concern.

My post was removed with no information at all, just gone. Yeah you are defienlyt not seing me a customer now!.

Your post wasn't censored. It was automatically flagged for spam. I've released it from the spam quarantine.

Helpful | Level 6

@Rich wrote:

@Hoder J. Your post wasn't censored. It was automatically flagged for spam. I've released it from the spam quarantine.

Thread originator here... I also had a post removed from this thread (my reply to your first comment in this thread, @Rich ). I filed a report seeking clarification/guidance but never heard back. Can you look into it? The deleted comment/reply to you was posted last Thursday March 14, 2019 at approx. 8pm PST. Many thanks.

Super User II

@Knot-Me wrote:

I also had a post removed from this thread (my reply to your first comment in this thread ... Can you look into it?

Spam filter again.

That's the last one I'm doing. I'd end up spending all my time cleaning out the spam filters. If you see a post disappear, just repost and try to change the wording a bit so the filters don't grab it. They're VERY finicky.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

@Rich wrote:

That's the last one I'm doing. I'd end up spending all my time cleaning out the spam filters.

Thanks @Rich- very much appreciated! I fully agree that you shouldn't be wasting your time trying to compensate for an automated spam system that's probably overly finicky.

Helpful | Level 6

Reposting a comment here that was originally removed as spam a week ago:

@Rich wrote:
Remember that most other popular services with lower cost offerings have other sources of revenue that are used to subsidize their cloud storage offerings.

While that's true, it's also largely (although definitely not entirely; see below re. Google) irrelevant for me as an end user. The question for me is ultimately who provides the best service at a price I'm willing to pay. Dropbox provides a great service and up until now I've been perfectly content with their free tier. With the March 2019 change in policy, it's likely that the free tier will no longer meet my needs. Given the quality of their service I'm more than willing to pay for it, but since I actually need very little cloud storage (5-10GB would easily cover it) I'm not willing to pay very much. What I would really be paying for is the ability to link more than 3 devices at a time.

I won't touch Google's cloud storage or email because of their business model. I prefer Dropbox to OneDrive and iCloud Drive because historically it's just been a much better product. It's not, however, worth $120/year to maintain what I previously got for free. $10/year? Absolutely. $20/year? Maybe. $30/year? Nope. That's just my own personal perspective; your mileage may vary.

Re: Reinstalling Dropbox. Now I'm limited to 3 devices.

New member | Level 2

I agree, i needed to setup a new computer now, and i had to remove 16 (!) old connections before being able to connect.

I removed 16, and i only have 3 clients (Right now).

But my OneDrive has unilmited connections and much more space, so, i'm pondering moving my self and my whole family to a new platform.

And as i work in IT, i will be reccomending this to our costumers also (Many use it for uploading pictures from the phone).
Dropbox, this might be a big mistake for you.

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 6

I have been using DropBox since it first started and have referred it to quite a few others some of which may have become paying customers, who knows.

I too would be willing to pay for small use without a link limit. DropBox is a good service but not the only one and I do use others. I'm not going to pay $10 a month for the 15gb I need, I don't need to and I don't want too.

Out of loyalty I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if DropBox change their mind.

I think this move, whilst I understand you need more money, is commercial suicide. You may end up as an obscure cloud service supplying select clients. The free service gives you a fantastic profile to all and sundry. The 3 device limit is going to drive many users away as they have other places to go and people will forget about Dropbox. You wouldn't be the first by any means.

All the other services that make money out of their cloud services do so with value add's that people want at the right price point. You can't force people to pay for something they don't see the value in. I would be happy to pay sensible tiered amounts that go with my required usage.

Helpful | Level 5

With such a quiet soft-launch of this new policy, it also caught me off guard as I had to re-install my work computer today.  Come to my shock to find that in order to complete the Dropbox installation I had to remove devices.

I've been one of those users that has used Dropbox from the beginning and have praised it to others and getting them to use the software.  I'm currently a free/basic user, but have an allocated 20+GB of space due to referrals. Between home/work/mobile this has been great for me, especially in the IT field.  I don't need more than I have.  I don't want 1TB of space, so it's not worth the cost $120/year.  Perhaps a due to my referrals, I should be allocated another (1) or (2) devices?  That'd be nice, but I'm guessing they wouldn't go for it.

I do agree with others in this post.  Offer some smaller plans aimed at the individual.  Not to the business users.  Some individual may go for the 1TB plan and that's great.  But it doesn't sound like a lot of us basic users will do that.  If you want to keep your current user base you should build more reasonable plans for hte common user. Free = 2GB for $0/year | Basic = 50GB for $5/year?

Obviously Dropbox is not concerned about storage on their servers.  So why not give the basic user a slight increase and a slight charge.  You'd keep your users and still get in influx of funds.

Helpful | Level 7

Yep, Dropbox is now dead. I am replacing a computer in a couple of weeks and it has forced me to switch to another service. Not only that it has forced me to help migrate many of my friends and clients to another service.

Ironically I had to move to a paid service (for now) to replace the 20GB I have from all of the referrals, and many of the friends and clients I am moving are closing paid Dropbox accounts. It won't take long to replace that storage.

The point of a cloud service is to keep your information in sync between devices and remove ther need for backups. 

Desktop, laptop, phone and tablet is too many for Dropbox. If you have Mac and PC then forget it.

I used Dropbox to keep files that I could not trust to the "privacy" policy of Microsoft. I moved to a Canadian cloud service that has TNO encryption, privacy certified, starts with 5GB (+1GB for doing the start-up and +1GB for each referral). I won't mention it here because I think that's why my other posts got deleted.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
475 Replies
1,013 Likes
Solved! : See solution