Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Collaborator | Level 8

At a minimum, I have a laptop, computer, iPad and iPhone - 4 devices. They have always advertised the product as being free, and to change this and restrict the free version WITHOUT EVEN TELLING THEIR EXISTING USERS is what people are so angry about. 

If they advised in advance that this change was happening, and on top of this, realistically provided an option for those users who don't need to go to the very expensive service they're offering, they would not have so many people in an uproar.

It's not so much the size of the space that's the attraction of Dropbox to me. It's the fact that on all of my devices, I can access files that I deem to be important to have available anywhere. I'm perfectly happy having a limited amount of space for this convenience, but the access from multiple devices is the reason I love Dropbox. 

When Evernote made their change, I dithered about trying to decide how to proceed. I ended up paying for access as I use that across multiple devices and have thousands of notes because I like how it works. I'm not really happy about paying that much money, but in fact Dropbox is charging significantly more, and I have two other services that I am paying for (but we're talking $7 a year for one and $18 for the other) that offer the same functionality as Dropbox.

I do not object to paying for the service if that is necessary for the business to survive. I object to them not telling anyone about the restrictions before implementing them, and I object to them not offering a realistic price for continued access. 

Explorer | Level 4

While I understand the restriction now imposed on free plans, the way this change was implemented has been less than optimal. No notice of such a major upcoming change, really Dropbox? That's poor customer communication. I only found out just now as I received an email notice about not being able to link additional devices, but there was not a zero word in that email about a change in plan policy.

Like other users, I'm also gutted by the fact that incase you have already connected more than three devices, you're basically stuck with those as unlinking any of them would be an irreversible change (once unlinked, you've permanently given up one of the extra device slots beyond three).

I've been extremely pleased with your service and to be fair it would have been more than reasonable to pay a small recurring fee to be able to use it over the years, but as a decade long user I'm seriously considering moving to another provider.

It's a real shame that it has come to this point.

Re: I just got a email about the new number of devices

New member | Level 2

I just went through this as well. You can remove old devices from your account, even if they're inaccessible.

I found that you can get rid of them by going here: https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

Scroll to the bottom and remove the ones you don't want (most likely the oldest devices, meaning the last ones in the list).

I had dozens of old/duplicate devices (e.g., old phones, multiple devices for the same computer that I reinstalled the OS on multiple times, etc.) After removing them I'm good to go.

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the information only one left as linked. I had to put a new SSD in my laptop so I should be able to put dropbox on it now. Was there some kind of notice I missed on this new rule?

Helpful | Level 5

cheers for the reply, but, I have deceives over 7yrs old list 70+ , they could do this ie keep the last year and the system knows your logged in and out , its a joke and a lie as I have a lot of space and the email also claims your running out of space when I've used 56% of total ..bs email I get better to save from old drive and mega, where I have 50gb for free as I've been with them for so long or even joining now you get 15gb, I run an IT company use ninite on all pcs sale's which adds dropbox on it to benefit them 

New member | Level 2

Like many here, I understand the need to convert free users to paying customers. But I just can't justify $120/year to sync my 28 kb KeePass database across devices. If there was a $20 tier to remove the cap, I'd subscribe just for the convenience.

New member | Level 2
I got the email out of the blue also, and the immediate worry was that I had been hacked, and new devices were bring added. The wording of the email was poor and didn't indicate this was s new policy.

Very poorly implemented, very poorly communicated.

New member | Level 2

Interesting comment that all currently linked devices will still sync. One of my 4 linked devices will no longer sync.

Robert

Helpful | Level 6

Wowowowow! As a tech/photo teacher, I have recommended DB to HUNDREDS! of people and this is really bad news!!!

I have read a number of replies here and have not seen anybody mention that the challenge of three device limit does not even take into account that you might need authorizing multiple “devices” on one single device.

I just found out about this today as I attempted to send myself via Dropbox and VR7 an audio file on a device that was already authorized for the main DB App. But the VR7 application needed an authorization also. Just looked over the email and finding this to my shock. I have 20 connected devices and approximately 25gb GB of space used in 35gb allowed.  I utilize dropbox extensively every single day. I have no idea what an alternative would be.  

I pay for unlimited storage at Dreamhost for web hosting as well as unlimited photo storage at Smugmug...I just don’t know how to turn that into not needing Dropbox and how convenient it is to install and rock on with instant syncing with tons of files.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I just want to add my voice to the chorus.

Like many others, I do need to link more than three devices, but I do not need 1TB of cloud storage, and I definitely don't want to be paying $120 pa for what has been an excellent but free service.

I have used Dropbox almost since it was established, and it's brilliant.  I'll happily pay for continuing excellence, and to say 'thank you' for what I've enjoyed using in the past, but not an outrageous $120 pa.  Reduce it to, say, $15-20pa for unlimited devices with about 100GB of storage (which is fairly similar to Google Drive's fees) and I'd be signing up.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
451 Replies
965 Likes
Solved! : See solution