Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 5

I run an IT company and install Dropbox on all my new builds and repairs as the system was fair I build and install a ninite pack on all pc's 

this machine new limit is a joke, I can use google back up more spare free space + doc's apps  / one drive more space free + doc app's and mega 50gb free (as I'm an older client ) but 15gb free ...all with NO machine limits,

I picked you as you were the 1st company I just deleted my machine list it goes back +7yrs   

your packages are over cost the size for a lot of people too much unless its a family and you've just limited that family using it .. moronic move

don't need to waste £70.00+ pounds for a 1tb you can buy a backup hhd for less money and more space 

unlike onedrive your not offering office etc or anything to bring added value 

but you've just managed to piss off a good few people 

maybe you should put a limit of 5 

also, think about deals for people that in fact don't need 1TB 

offer 250gb/500gb/750gb and then 1tb > upper-tier services 

but what do I know I just help people use your service for 7+ yrs and installed it on all the pcs I've built 

if you keep this idea going, you lose people to better freer services 

but if you wish to kill yourself off no problem 

Collaborator | Level 8
I don’t want 1TB, it would still take up space on my computer. I’m happy with my 8GB (sign up referrals, bonuses etc). I want unlimited device sync, or at least a reasonable amount. And I don’t want to pay too high a price for this.

Feature Request - Please increase device limit for free user from 3 to 5/6 at the least

Explorer | Level 4

Dear Dropbox Support,

I got an email of the March 2019 Free User device limit.

I am using your service on an iPhone, Android Phone, iPad, Windows Tablet, Main Desktops and a Travel Laptop with Dual Boot (on Both Mac and Windows), Raspberry Pi 2, Raspberry Pi 3, Synology and a Spare Desktop. In total 10 Devices.

A similar move had been made by Pulseway before they were Pulseway. They changed their device limit to 2 computers for personal users. Since, I had been with them forever and they actually increased my limit from 2 to 5, keeping in mind the loyalty and being an old subscriber.

Splashtop also started charging a monthly fee for Remote Access. But people who had created their ID's before that policy change they had the benifit of unlimited without a monthly fee.

Please consider a similar policy where the old users keep a device limit higher than the number of device types assuming that they have 1 of each. Companies who have grown because of word of mouth publicity should take more care of their loyal old customers.

I do understand that a typical user does not use dropbox as people like me do, but consider atleast the following use case for old customers.

1 Phone, 1 Tablet, 1 Work Laptop, 1 Home Desktop, 1 Free/Spare Device for experimental or temporary work

Please increase device limit for free user from 3 to 5 at the least

A few of us also have Microsoft Office 365 Family Subscription that comes with 1 TB of OneDrive data for each family member and so far have not been using that since dropbox serves my needs to keep working folders in sync accross my devices.

Thanking you in anticipation of your kind understanding,

With best regards,

A loyal old customer

Helpful | Level 6

Same as most here. I don't need a huge storage space. It's taken years for me to amass 2Gb of data - and I doubt I need to use that much if I tidied up a bit.

I have work PC, home PC, phone and tablet - 4 devices and will never need more. I can probably switch back and forth enabling/disabling tablet and phone but if it gets to be a nuisance I'll find something else.

Poor customer service to not notify of the March change coming up but I guess they didn't want users jumping ship too soon?

I've only ever had a free account, so Dropbox have made no money directly from me but I have told many others about it, who have signed up to paid accounts - personal and business. Word of mouth is a great sales tool, which now, unfortunately for Dropbox, will become one of mentioninging the free account limit as a reason not to go the dropbox route.

I worry that Dropbox may not be able to withstand this major policy mistake and far from gaining new paid accounts will lose customers and ultimately fail to stay in business

Helpful | Level 5

same, I put it out to all my clients via word of mouth as I never sell or use something I don't use my self and I pointed out I install it on all my builds and rebuilds/fix via ninite and I leave the ninite.exe so they always as I tell them to run it once a week, so I know you've had word of mouth from my stuff , but your biggest problem is not benefits to buy 1TB , no free office / not free google doc's , etc 

and now you've lost the only last reason to use you, by locking machine numbers to 3 

ok, you can't beat them on the doc's front but I can think of 3 very very important services you could offer at almost no cost and they are even on ninite .for free and i'm sure if you did a deal with those 3 you'd ADD VALUE AND NOT REMOVE IT LIKE YOU JUST DID ..  pity you can't see the simple things 

Explorer | Level 4

I have to agree 100% with the sentiment on here. I have been a Dropbox user for umpteen years. I have a number of paid accounts and a number of free accounts. Product is great. Treatment of customer base is apalling - this is tempting me to move away. Same thing happened with Evernote, I am now a happy (free) Apple Notes user. There have been a number of apologetics on here saying "it is free after all, what do you expect". However, "free" doesn't mean it doesn't have value to Dropbox. When the IPO comes round it's all about size of the user base, paid and free.

Helpful | Level 6

I taught sales people for many years it was much easier to tell their customers what they can not do for them and not what they can. The 5 people that makes happy wil tell others about how you helped them be happy, but if you make the unhappy they will tell 100's others how mad you made them all for free. The  way DB chose to implenemt this is horrible smacking of they do not value their customers. I have taken the timeto read all 11 pages of post  and second the opinion  that DB has their head in the sand on this one. I have used and refered thousands of others to DB. But DB you are showing you do not value your customer base and  bynot offering anything cheaper than your 1 TB plan. All us that are mad are going to tell everybody as we can how mad you have made us. To not tell us in you cryptic in your face email  the way to  eliminate the 16 devices I had at some time in the last 12 years to allow us to add a replacement device again again smacks of your lack of customer value. Being a fanboy means telling others how great a product is. Till the people who set this in motion personally get effectively hurt themselves they will remain clueless. You will spend 100's times more money to make up these loses for free. The few that you can earn $$ from will  never cover your losses by your uncaring acts. Many companies  fail because they forgot the customer whether free or paying a lot is the sole reason  they are  in business. The limit of 3  is insane for many in todays world. Maybe the offerings (1TB)is what you think is the minimum you  feel is the starting  point for your business model. Your offering is way out of line in the current marketing. Though I feel your product  is superior to the rest  but not by the factor of cost difference. 

Super User

HarryFlatters

You can go to: https://www.dropbox.com/account/security

and look under Devices.  If it doesn't list your device there, then you will be fine.  You can also check to see how many Devices are Linked.  Keep in mind, as long as they are linked it would not count toward the 3 Device limit.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Helpful | Level 5
Chris_J the issue with this approach is you can't add a new device if you already have more than 3 attached. If I have 5 attached and replace 1 with say a new phone, I have to remove 3 devices before I can add the new phone. We're not grandfathered in with the existing number of devices.
Highlighted

Super User

Hello oldrose

I was merely answering a poster question.  Go find Harryflasters  post and he had a specific question in which I was answering.  I wasn't posting a workaround.

Thanks

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
451 Replies
965 Likes
Solved! : See solution