Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

New member | Level 2

Totally agree. I suspect Dropbox will suffer significantly if they do not reassess their pricing proposals soon. 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Here's my view on what's going on...

The newcomers to Dropbox... the ones who are looking at a free 2gb account... everybody in here is right - it's just not enough storage relative to what else is out there for free.

The longtimers... the ones who have done the work to build up their storage space to a point that the free tier DOES have value to them.... they've got all their devices syncing... it's now a part of their every day. It's THOSE users that this is really going to have an impact on. It's those users for whom this change feels like betrayal...

"Wait, I spend all this time, living by your rules... referring friends to earn extra storage space...  connecting my phone for photo uploads to earn space.. buying devices (Samsung at one point) to earn space... now you're going to change the game on me? I grew your brand for you and spread the word, and now you're going to pull the rug out from under this product's usefulness for me?"

This is visceral.. the power users on the free tier are going to really feel the betrayal. The problem is that these users (I include myself in this group) are hooked. Dropbox is leveraging the relationship with these users in a direct attempt to monetize them. 

Dropbox unilaterally changed the rules of the relationship and destroyed the value of the product for these power users.

But here's the rub: From a business perspective, I'm sure that Dropbox is ok with these users leaving the platform. After all, these users pay nothing but have disproportionately greater storage capacity and because of the number of devices, greater sync needs. Threats of "I'm going to another provider" will fall on deaf ears because that's exactly what Dropbox wants... "pay up or leave - we aren't making any money on you, but you cost us more than most, and because you've earned all this storage capacity, you're the LEAST likely to convert to a paying sub."

I'm switching, but I don't for a moment think that worries Dropbox. 

Explorer | Level 4

@rjdennison wrote:

I'm switching, but I don't for a moment think that worries Dropbox. 

Same here. The search feature of the mobile app is the one feature that has been keeping me with Dropbox. If I can't use Dropbox though, that point is moot. Time to fully switch. 

Helpful | Level 5

rjdennison - I think you said it very well.  I fit perfectly into that description as I'm sure many others do as well.

Sadly, I also agree that Dropbox isn't worried and all of us up in arms is falling on deaf ears.

It's just really disappointing to see that this is the route that Dropbox has chosen.  Instead of coming up with 'comsumer pricing' it's decided to shift it's view towards business fully.  Sure it leaves the door open with a little teaser for those little users, but it's really focusing on one customer.

One person commented on the fact that "we the hurt" are all freeloaders.  It's true.  Whether we all accumulated storage as per the Dropbox rules or continue to use the free 2GB we are freeloading on thier system.  And if this is putting a financial hurt on Dropbox I can understand certain manuvuers to minimize their costs.

But what I can't understand is why they made this decision not to put a consumer-paid teir in there.  Reading through this string it's obvious that Dropbox could have made a ton of money by doing this.  So business-wise, why wouldn't they?  I think that's the part that gets me the most.  If all of us reading/replying to this thread were to pay $5/year to continue what we had for device limits and perhaps add 10-20GB of storage.....Dropbox would be laughing at the influx of revenue.  Money that wasn't there yesterday would be there today.

I've attempted to email Dropbox and get some sort of manager-level response but as I'm sure many of you have guessed it's gone unanswered.

I haven't switched yet. I'm one of the rule folllowers that built up to 23GB of storage on my free account. I'm holding out for a bit to see if there's any change in the wind.  But I am looking at other options to see what I can move to and what will work with my devices and apps.

If we want to make a real difference, or make sure that Dropbox hears us we will need to band together and do more than vent on this Dropbox forum that Dropbox obviously isn't paying a lot of attention to. Do we take it to Facebook? Twitter @Dropbox #DropboxForConsumers?  Is it worth going that route?  Food for thought.

Helpful | Level 6

Let's face it they chose this path to convince people that they no longer value the thousands that helped them to get to where they are today. They like a lot of others today feel, cut off the part that gives you the least profit and hope that you survive. They want people to leave, we served their benefit when they needed us. We got them a user base with little cost to them and now they care less about us. I for one will keep my account as is and put my data on a competitor and leave the original data as a thing I will update periodically just to cost them the cost of syncing. I think there are enough of us mad enough to cause them to rethink that trying to get what they feel are freeloaders to quit as the obviously planned. As soon as I establish where I will move what I care about it is my plan to load up my account with a fresh set of files equal to my limit and rotate them daily at least or multiple times a day costing them a lot more than I have for over 10 years. If enough people do that maybe they will give other options to the masses. I-drive offered a 1TB price for a year for $6.95, Apple offers 50 GB dirt cheap. With today's hard drive prices why not keep a copy of important files on an external hard drive in an off-site location. As much as it hurts to say this the freshman congressperson that spends most days spouting things her alma-mater cringe they gave her a degree in economics "it is all about the Benjamins $$$. 

Helpful | Level 5

I was very sad to be suddenly locked out, no communication/warning. EVENTUALLY, I found out what my issue was, several iterations of PC / laptops, 95% were machines long ago wiped.

However, I agree on pricing tiers clearly 'home' users are not wanted anymore, only business as others have said. 

Now the Microsoft 365 Home offer is a paid plan (UK £79.99 p.a.) but for this we get;

The latest version of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher (for PC), Access (for PC) this is for PCs/Macs, tablets, and phones, including Windows, iOS, and Android.

Best of all this is for 6 users each allowed Skype and 1Tb of OneDrive storage EACH.

I accept that Dropbox is faster as cloud storage but 1TB is £79 p.a. so would cost £474 p.a. for 6 people just for storage alone, this I cannot ignore.

anonymous
Not applicable

i have the same problem

Helpful | Level 6

I researched a whole load of other options and ended up with the free and unlimited devices option of Sync. For my very basic needs it does exactly the same as DB but I now have an extra 1Gb (6Gb up from 5Gb - not that I need as much as 5Gb!) plus end to end encryption. I wasn't aware that DB could access my data until this policy change issue came up. I've seen a few posts to say they will leave data on DB just to leave a synching overhead for them but maybe better not to leave your data with them? Also, as mentioned by others, the major startup overhead (high CPU) I used get on my PC has now disappeared with the DB service disabled. That used to annoy me but has now gone even though I now have the Sync service running

Helpful | Level 5

I caught the info about Sync.com from another poster.  I "was" going to just keep things with DB and see what happened or until I found something different.  I checked out Sync.com and it looked like it had potential.  But then I watched the YouTube video from Dottotech [external link removed in accordance with Forum Guidelines] and wow that was an eye opener.  I agree with you rl11, I'm not sure I want to leave my data with DB any longer.  And after logging into and setting up a Sync account.... the functionality is on par with Dropbox.   Honestly, this may have all turned out to be a blessing in disguise.

Anyone else interested in switching to Sync?  Here's my referral link (yes shamless), it'll get you started at 6GB out the door.  And follow their getting started stuff and you'll end up with 7GB.  <link removed in accordance with Forum Guidelines>

Helpful | Level 5

ok, doesn't like links.  Use this <code removed in accordance to Forum Guidlines> in the Sync rewards details and you'll ge the extra 1GB.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
451 Replies
977 Likes
Solved! : See solution