Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 5

ahh... there we go.  Did the last one to prove DB is reading and watching this thread.  but they don't care.   ;o)

Highlighted

Super User

as with most users here, there's a lot of assumption.  You assumed that Dropbox is reading this.  They may be and I hope so but FYI, SuperUsers are like Moderators of the forum and FYI, I don't work for Dropbox, I don't get compensation from Dropbox, in fact, I am a paying customer.  We as SuperUsers volunteer their time for the community.  We though agree to uphold forum guidelines.  So because of what I agree to do, would have to edit some replies

Thank you

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Collaborator | Level 8
I have removed almost all my files. I’m keeping some but they’re all duplicated elsewhere. I’m waiting to see if there will be a change of heart and an offer of a reasonable price level for small users is made.

Re: Device limit question

New member | Level 2

Same, here. After using DropBox for years and recommending it to a ton of people. I am now limited to 3 devices. Can't do that.

I have a Windows Desktop PC, Windows Laptop, MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Android Phone and an iPhone....Guess I need 6 devices.

So which is better? -- Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive?

I need sync'ing and 6 devices.

Explorer | Level 4

I'm not sure yet.  I need 25GB of space so google drive is out w/o purchasing.  I do like the camera sync of dropbox also.  It seems google has a similar option but limited to 5GB free storage.  Onedrive seems a bit clunky for me right now.

Collaborator | Level 9

@StuartChalmers:

Lazza - Spring cleaning huh! Well if that's what you want to call it

Yes, I am calling it like this because they want to get rid of free users like me. I have paid nothing in 10 years, it's very unlikely I will every pay for Dropbox (the paid plans are not suitable for me). So the reasoning is "these guys haven't paid for years, let's limit them... if they still don't pay they'd better go somewhere else".

but we freeloaders don’t owe them anything either ‘technically’

That's right, we can leave whenever we want. That's actually what they want, or they would have offered some decent plans.

Reference is made to Evernote and their introduced 2 device limit on free accounts, I don’t know how they fared but there are so many alternatives so I can’t imagine people just took it on the chin. From what little I know Evernote also lost quite a lot of their premium customers who didn’t like the 2 device limit even though it didn’t affect them, maybe it made them nervous.

I personally decided to upgrade to Premium after the change, even though I do not use three devices and also I opposed the change because a lot of features were already limited and they also raised the prices at the same time. Nevertheless Evernote is different, because by purchasing the subscription with a Mexican IP address you can pay 20 USD per year so it's much better.

No Evernote Premium user was touched by the change at all, the same is happening here with Dropbox.

What I think they need to do, as you say and many others here is offer added value at the right price incentivise free users to become paid ones.

Yes, they should. But it doesn't seem they want to, more likely they want to reduce free users who are unlikely to ever upgrade.

Helpful | Level 5

I went with Microsoft OneDrive Home for the advantages for me listed in my post on the page above yours

I accept that YMMV

Helpful | Level 5

Dear Dropbox,

I would happily forgo the following features on my Free service to increase the quantity of connected devices allowed on said free service:

Dropbox Paper
MS Office 365 integration
Web previews and comments
Plus button
File requests

I would also happily convert to a being a customer if you offered a lower level subscription that allowed a minimum of 5 connected devices for $5 AUD per month.

I cannot justify $15.39 AUD per month for the Pro plan as barring the ability to have more than 3 connected devices, the only extra features I would receive (in comparison to a free account) are 1tb of storage I do not require, Remote Device Wipe and Priority Email Support (I've never even used the regular Email Support).

I already pay for Google One and Office 365 Business Essentials, the combined monthly subscription fee is $9.39 AUD and offer 1.2TB of storage. While I could scrap Google and backup my photos to Dropbox, besides the extra $6.00 I would be out of pocket per month I would also no longer have an Exchange email account nor web access to MS Office. I include this information to show you how unappealing your subscription levels are.

The one point that has yet to be mentioned in this thread and also the evidence that Dropbox is extremely unlikely to offer a lowel level plan in future is the possibility of current Pro Plan users swappping to a cheaper plan therefore reducing total income from their current customer base. The Pro Plan is the cheapest option and I'd say a fair whack of the people that require more than the 2gb free plan but aren't utilising anywhere near the available 1tb have that subscription because it's the cheapest and basically only option. If Dropbox were to offer a $5 per month plan that allowed 5 devices and had 20gb of storage, there'd be a lot of customers who would jump ship to the cheaper option.

For the moment I have figured out a workaround which suits my purpose. Just bought a new phone, can't add it to my Dropbox account so have created an additional free Dropbox account which I sign into on new phone. I only need to access one folder from my main Dropbox on this phone anyway so it's an easy fix.

All good things come to an end...

New member | Level 2

OK. I've been using Dropbox from the beginning and it's sad it has to come to an end for this limit. 3 is completely unusable... 1 notebook, 1 desktop, one phone, one tablet, shoud be the minimum. I'm using 4 cloud storages right now and i was thinking about cuting back to two. You just made the choice very easy. So long

Re: Device limit

Helpful | Level 6

"I actually need very little cloud storage (5-10GB would easily cover it) I'm not willing to pay very much. What I would really be paying for is the ability to link more than 3 devices at a time."

Agreed. Well put.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
451 Replies
965 Likes
Solved! : See solution