Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Level 8

I am spending time here because, as a long time freeloader (not customer) myself, I am quite interested in a serious discussion about the pricing model of Dropbox and why they cannot come up with a decent offer to retain us and switch us to become paying customers.

I like Dropbox and I would gladly pay for it, if there were a reasonable paid plan. (That's a huge "if", I know)

This thread seems a good place to discuss that, if you skip some occasional complainers who are whining about not getting stuff for free.

Level 6

I can confirm that this works. Took advantage of the 2 weeks Pro free trial, added a device, then dropped back to Basic. 

To me this seems like a workable worakaround. I'm unlikely to need to add* more than 2 devices a year (actually replace*, after OS upgrade, phone replacement etc.). If I pay $10 for 1 month of service each time, that's $20/year, which would be a reasonable fee for up to 1TB with unlimited devices. Would be nice not to have to jump through the hoops, though. 

Was ready to move on had it not worked, but inertia and satisfaction with how well the Dropbox service works keeps me with them for now.

Dropbox could have made a ton of money and saved a lot of bad will by just offering a $20/year 1TB/unlimited devices plan when they announced the device limit... [profanity removed by moderation according to the Community Guidelines].

Level 6

The thing is Lazza that all of us free loaders as you say it are several things, we are realestate so Dropbox can say to business, "look we have umpteen million users out there, a good reputation etc.", a free sales force, PR, free advertising etc. Word of mouth is normally the most powerful sales tool that exists by far, it can be a big killer of business too. If that realestate gets too small then fee payers might start looking elsewhere for popular platforms such as Google Drive. If that realestate takes their customers away then that's a further loss. Dropbox may survive as a smaller niche supplier to some businesses but I fail to see how this will benefit them in the long run.

Level 5

I just created an account with Sync.com and I'm not looking back. They appear to have the same feature set plus end-to-end encryption and no device limit on their free tier.

I've posted this information along with my referral link on Facebook and expect to reach the 20GB free limit in a few weeks. I'm doing everything I can to get my friends and colleagues on Dropbox to switch.

As for Dropbox, I'm going to fill my 25GB with a few useless large files and have them maintain it for eternity.

Level 2

Agree with this - another customer who would gladly pay to stay on DropBox  - however the lowest paid tier is way too high and overkill for me to justify .   So this will likely end up on another platform - a bit sad, since I've often recomended Dropbox to friends and family. 

Level 2

Absolutely true.  I have deleted Dropbox off all my devices and I've migrated to GDrive.  Such is life!

Level 8

Google One have responded (or not) with a new paid plan of 100GB for $25 AUD per year.

Level 5

This has become a logistical nightmare for me. 

Try to explain over the phone, or email to some seniors why their dropbox account that they have used for years suddenly cannot work for them. They share the same dropbox account for their 1Password data, the have a Mac, iPad and iPhone; yes, I know 3 devices, but one of them died and had to be replaced and one of them was just aquired.

Try explaining to them why they simply can't add these new devices to their Dropbox accounts? That they can only have 3. That they need to go into some convoluted settings because they need to manually removed all of their older devices to get under that 3 limit. Try explaining to them not to remove the wrong one. Try doing it without even being able to see what they are doing because you can't log into their account because you also can't get access to their Dropbox account to get their Dropbox password stored in 1Password which is stored on Dropbox! Try getting them to read over the phone the 50+ character password because emailing it to me would be stupid.

Try doing this from overseas. Try listening to their reaction that this misery all stems from Dropbox restricting to only 3 devices and that this will have to happen again from now on if they want to use another device. Try explaining to the retirees that they need to pony up a ridiculous amount to get everything behaving the way it used to be!

Try convincing them that Dropbox is still a good product.

Highlighted

Super User

Well, SkipR wins the award for being overly dramatic.  Sheesh.  So what it requires a lot of thought but can be less dramatic.  Just have them unlink all devices and go to each device and go to Dropbox app or icon and it it self will tell them to relink to an account, have them enter username and password and viola, it links.  That wasn't too dramatic.  

People think they are entitled to everything free.  Yet, they claim themselves as Customers, nope, we are talking about free users.  and I laugh at those who even say Dropbox owes them $1400 dollars for their work.  Theres not a reputable company out there that doesn't offer an referrable bonus.  We signed up on that and we understood perfectly what we signed up to recieve (bonus storage).  

and btw, calling from overseas is just as easy as calling from next door, same challenges.  Would Dropbox fall down and be not non-existent?  no, it will still be a viable option for users.

People and their entitlements.  I am personally am sad Dropbox made this decision.  Its theirs to make. period, life goes on and there are alternative.  $10 a month is not much and if it is to you, then I am so sorry.  A person who spends their money on Starbucks can blow over $10 going there twice.  Yes, I am a paid user, and I don't even come close to filling up 1TB.  I only use about 60GBs but I pay because the service works for me and works well.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 8

@Chris_J  ha scritto:

Well, SkipR wins the award for being overly dramatic.

Agreed.

People think they are entitled to everything free.  Yet, they claim themselves as Customers, nope, we are talking about free users.

Agreed.

I laugh at those who even say Dropbox owes them $1400 dollars for their work.  [...] We signed up on that and we understood perfectly what we signed up to recieve (bonus storage).

Heck yeah! Agreed.

$10 a month is not much and if it is to you, then I am so sorry.  A person who spends their money on Starbucks can blow over $10 going there twice.

And here comes where you are wrong. You are thinking as if everyone lives in the USA. Surprisingly, there are other countries and stuff works differently elsewhere.

In the USA a software developer can easily earn 150k USD/year or even more. In southern europe, someone with the same qualifications, degrees and experience would be in the 30k-40k range.

If in your country you spend 10$ for a coffee or two, “then I am sorry for you”. face with stuck-out tongue and winking eye In Italy the price is 1€, or about 1.20$ if you prefer (and we have real espresso coffee, not dirty water, but I digress).

But even assuming that only the US exists in this world, you need to look at competitors. The Dropbox offer is, simply put, not competitive. There are alternatives with way better prices and even one or two cool extra features.

Freeloaders complaining for the sake of complaining are wrong. Those who underline the fact that the current pricing model is flawled, aren't. If Dropbox had a better pricing model there would be less freeloaders and more customers.

This topic is raising some very good points to this regard.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
376 Replies
446 Likes
Solved! : See solution