Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

New member | Level 2

Absolutely true.  I have deleted Dropbox off all my devices and I've migrated to GDrive.  Such is life!

Collaborator | Level 8

Google One have responded (or not) with a new paid plan of 100GB for $25 AUD per year.

Helpful | Level 5

This has become a logistical nightmare for me. 

Try to explain over the phone, or email to some seniors why their dropbox account that they have used for years suddenly cannot work for them. They share the same dropbox account for their 1Password data, the have a Mac, iPad and iPhone; yes, I know 3 devices, but one of them died and had to be replaced and one of them was just aquired.

Try explaining to them why they simply can't add these new devices to their Dropbox accounts? That they can only have 3. That they need to go into some convoluted settings because they need to manually removed all of their older devices to get under that 3 limit. Try explaining to them not to remove the wrong one. Try doing it without even being able to see what they are doing because you can't log into their account because you also can't get access to their Dropbox account to get their Dropbox password stored in 1Password which is stored on Dropbox! Try getting them to read over the phone the 50+ character password because emailing it to me would be stupid.

Try doing this from overseas. Try listening to their reaction that this misery all stems from Dropbox restricting to only 3 devices and that this will have to happen again from now on if they want to use another device. Try explaining to the retirees that they need to pony up a ridiculous amount to get everything behaving the way it used to be!

Try convincing them that Dropbox is still a good product.

Highlighted

Super User

Well, SkipR wins the award for being overly dramatic.  Sheesh.  So what it requires a lot of thought but can be less dramatic.  Just have them unlink all devices and go to each device and go to Dropbox app or icon and it it self will tell them to relink to an account, have them enter username and password and viola, it links.  That wasn't too dramatic.  

People think they are entitled to everything free.  Yet, they claim themselves as Customers, nope, we are talking about free users.  and I laugh at those who even say Dropbox owes them $1400 dollars for their work.  Theres not a reputable company out there that doesn't offer an referrable bonus.  We signed up on that and we understood perfectly what we signed up to recieve (bonus storage).  

and btw, calling from overseas is just as easy as calling from next door, same challenges.  Would Dropbox fall down and be not non-existent?  no, it will still be a viable option for users.

People and their entitlements.  I am personally am sad Dropbox made this decision.  Its theirs to make. period, life goes on and there are alternative.  $10 a month is not much and if it is to you, then I am so sorry.  A person who spends their money on Starbucks can blow over $10 going there twice.  Yes, I am a paid user, and I don't even come close to filling up 1TB.  I only use about 60GBs but I pay because the service works for me and works well.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Collaborator | Level 9

@Chris_J  ha scritto:

Well, SkipR wins the award for being overly dramatic.

Agreed.

People think they are entitled to everything free.  Yet, they claim themselves as Customers, nope, we are talking about free users.

Agreed.

I laugh at those who even say Dropbox owes them $1400 dollars for their work.  [...] We signed up on that and we understood perfectly what we signed up to recieve (bonus storage).

Heck yeah! Agreed.

$10 a month is not much and if it is to you, then I am so sorry.  A person who spends their money on Starbucks can blow over $10 going there twice.

And here comes where you are wrong. You are thinking as if everyone lives in the USA. Surprisingly, there are other countries and stuff works differently elsewhere.

In the USA a software developer can easily earn 150k USD/year or even more. In southern europe, someone with the same qualifications, degrees and experience would be in the 30k-40k range.

If in your country you spend 10$ for a coffee or two, “then I am sorry for you”. face with stuck-out tongue and winking eye In Italy the price is 1€, or about 1.20$ if you prefer (and we have real espresso coffee, not dirty water, but I digress).

But even assuming that only the US exists in this world, you need to look at competitors. The Dropbox offer is, simply put, not competitive. There are alternatives with way better prices and even one or two cool extra features.

Freeloaders complaining for the sake of complaining are wrong. Those who underline the fact that the current pricing model is flawled, aren't. If Dropbox had a better pricing model there would be less freeloaders and more customers.

This topic is raising some very good points to this regard.

Super User

I agree with you.  I am talking about the USA, that is where I am from and that's where Dropbox was started.  I don't make even close to 150K a year.  You would laugh at what I make a year.  Yes, there are poor countries and yes, I would agree it would be too much.  What I pay ($10) is not much for the majority of users.  I use Google also and I also use icloud.  I consider its worth it to me to pay that price.  Now I do agree and read that there is a lot of users who do not agree with the price.  I am just posting my opinion like everyone else.  What I am a little concern is the attitude that Dropbox owes us.  They don't owe us anything.  Thanks for posting your views, that is what this thread is about.  

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Helpful | Level 6

I think you're getting hung up on the money, and it's not about money to me. I don't make 150K$, but I'm in the neighborhood, and I could easily handle 10$ a month, or even 20$ or 30$. On the other hand, I know what the backend costs are on a service like this, and I feel ill-used that a formerly free and useful service has now unilaterally changed their terms and is forcing a pay issue. Took me about 5 minutes to get local fs mount setup for my Google storage, and another 15 or so to copy all my Dropbox data out to there. The problem for me is that now I need to go do that about fifteen times. If Dropbox had a plan on offer that suited me (say about 200-500GB for a yearly 50$ fee), I would have done that in a minute. I don't care for monthly charges and will take on the annoyance of moving to a different service instead. It's an annoyance, and it'll be a fairly large number of occurances as I switch over all of my PCs and devices, but it's a finite number. The monthly charges are an indefinite number of annoyances. Adios, Dropbox!

Collaborator | Level 8
I completely get where you’re coming from. It’s the less tech-savvy users who are most disrupted by this. They may be willing to pay a little for the service, but they have used it for years trouble-free and now need to understand how to try to make it work for their needs.

Helpful | Level 5

@Spersephone wrote:
I completely get where you’re coming from. It’s the less tech-savvy users who are most disrupted by this. They may be willing to pay a little for the service, but they have used it for years trouble-free and now need to understand how to try to make it work for their needs.

Thanks for understanding… 

This is not an easy process to do with them. It was not well communicated. Took everyone by surprise and leaving many users that have had things set to work suddenly not able with no clear reason why and no understandable method of solving the problem on their own.

Collaborator | Level 9
Please note that existing linked devices do continue to work. Hence, claiming that users have been suddenly disrupted is a bit misleading.

They might be in the future, but that's slightly different. The problem does not lie in the change itself, but in how it was (not) communicated.

The change should not be surprising. They essentially say "You have been using Dropbox for business purposes for ten years without paying a dime? OK now we will limit you to 3 devices." That shall not sound so crazy by itself. It is a bit crazy because of the price they put, but they are entitled to that if they so desire.

A user wanting to sync their computer to they smartphone and tablet or secondary computer can do so. A user having 10 devices is most likely using it for business or can afford to pay like he/she afforded to buy 10 devices in the first place.

Logging in the web interface to manage your linked devices is about basic computer literacy, which applies to Google and Facebook accounts as well. It does not require advanced skills.
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
496 Replies
1,022 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey