Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

What's the reason behind the limt, dropbox employees?

Level 3

I've been thinking about this recent move of yours and I cannot find a plausible line of thinking for the move. Maybe I'm not a corporate strategist but I have a brain.

Allow me to dissect this for a second:

- you have free tier users, each linking however many devices they want/need but only using space up to the free tier limit

- you also have sufficient paying customers that have kept your business running and investors happy (otherwise you would be out of the game)

- you decide you want to milk the cow with more than 2 hands, so you could not come up with anything else but limiting existing features and placing them behind a huge paywall (gee, I can't think of even one business that failed for doing so)

Here's why it's the dumbest idea:

1. They're on the free tier because they don't need more storage. For example I would be perfectly happy hosting my encrypted password database (100mb) for syncing purposes. The rest of the files I have on there I don't care if I lose or if your employees read them (https://readwrite.com/2011/04/20/how-to-keep-dropbox-employees/). If you're too thick, here it is spelled out: Your targeted segment has extremely limited potential which means you're essentially wasting effort.

2. I can sign up for as many dropbox accounts as I wish, share one folder across all accounts and thus have 3x however many accounts I need to "link" my devices. That's if I really need to stick with Dropbox. Otherwise there's respectable hosts who encrypt stuff and don't snoop, with much more sensible payment plans. There's also open source self-hosted options that you can run for ***MUCH*** less than $10/month. Too thick again? You cannot compete in the market with your current offering.

3. You're not providing an enticing feature (like $2 to link more devices IF IT ALREADY was limited), you're limiting an already-provided service (unlimited link as far as I can tell) and hoping that it would received well. Obviously, it's not, and if you did a little bit of research you would have realized that the model never worked and never will. Primarily because you're pissing people off. Customers pay for value not to get rid of annoyance...

In the end, who does this benefit?

- the amount of used storage is the same: no benefit to dropbox

- average family size is 4 members: obvious disservice to the user

- linking multiple devices doesn't cost Dropbox anything extra

I see no benefit on either side. Do you, dropbox?

Re: What's the reason behind the limt, dropbox employees?

Level 2

I'm actually considering leaving Dropbox because of this change. I reinstalled the OS on one of my machines, and because of this, it's considered a new device (support confirmed this). I cannot link it and still maintain the computers I use. I find it amazing this policy was implemented and not grandfathered. I find it extremely amazing that mobile devices (phones) count toward this number. 

It's ashame that Dropbox makes a superior product to others, yet still feels the need to abuse it's customer base into paying for something that was formerly free. Heck, even a one time charge to add extra devices would be better than this. 

For now, I'm off to figure out a different way to implement how I've been using dropbox for nearly 10 years. Consider this a customer and advocate lost. 

Super User

Let me be clear to all the free users, please don't refer to yourself as a customer.  You never were.  Oh, yes, you referred others, and you got your referral bonus in which you agreed to.  Let's just be honest about it.  Free users are frustrated. and it sucks that Dropbox wasn't transparent.  But let's get this straight, this is against free users, not customers

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

Okay, I'll bite *puts on pedantic hat*.

I'm sorry, we are/were customers. we consume the product. We are clients. Yes, we were free. Yes, we made Dropbox what it is by refering people. It is against customers. And I will be less likely to give Dropbox new customers (paying for free). I can think of many cases where just because it's "free" doesn't mean the recipient isn't still taking part in a customer relationship. 

Now, if you want to get into the argument of whether free customers deserve the level of support paying customers get, I'm totally in agreement. But don't try to undermine those of us that have been with Dropbox for years, and have given them many paying customers (or not), and helped build them into the company they are today, just because we don't show our satisfaction with our wallet. 

Super User

I am not going to argue about what your rights are, and I am not undermining anyone.  Just don't call yourself customers.  You see, I, too been a long time user for over 10 years and for a long time I was a free user.  I have been a paid customers for many more years.  And yes, I have referred many to the service, and I have gotten free storage,  I call myself a customer.  True, I don't like what Dropbox did, it sucks.  

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Level 2

You are. You're denegrating those of us in this position into a lesser class. Saying "you don't have a right to complain if it's free". I find that offensive, but honestly, pretty American. 

Anyway, fine. You can cast the bait and then cut line. At least we can agree Dropbox screwed up here. 

Level 2

I'm sure Dropbox use all "users" when stating the marketing value of service/product.

Lets be honest that paying or not, is not a fair way disconnect sure setup that many have rely on for years. They should have have buildt solid value product to the market... Then people will pay...

But now They lost...

Highlighted

Super User

Typical.  Reading between the lines.  Asserting what I said but actually didn't.  You have the right to complain.  Again, just don't call yourself a Customer

Level 2

Dude. I don't get your point. Are you trying to elevate yourself or something? WE ARE CUSTOMERS. Show me where the definition of this (either by Dropbox or the dictionary) requires a monetary exchange. Yes, it generally does. But being "free" does not remove us from being customers. Are we just CONSUMERS at that point? Leaches? This blood doesn't taste as good as it used to? 

I don't get you at all. 

Anyway, back to the point. And back to investigating alternative options to replace Dropbox. 

Level 8

@staze  ha scritto:

You are. You're denegrating those of us in this position into a lesser class. Saying "you don't have a right to complain if it's free". I find that offensive

We are not customers, we are free users. We can technically "complain" but Dropbox is free to change or stop the service any time they want. It's not just written in the TOS, it's common sense.

If you are looking for alternatives, check out pCloud. I've become a customer of them (thus paying) after I saw their features, even if I could've stayed on the free Dropbox plan.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
376 Replies
446 Likes
Solved! : See solution