Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Explorer | Level 4

Interesting. Thank you. I have to assume you have tried this out. I will still be switching over to iCloud Drive in September when Apple rolls out shared folders. I will frankly get a lot more benefit from Apple's 2 TB plan. Really too bad Dropbox went this cheesy route with a three device limit on the basic plan. Their loss. They miscalculated. Thanks again for the tip.  

New member | Level 2

This issue has been discussed for quite a while without any meaningful response from Dropbox. This seems a little odd to me. Maybe, as some folks have theorized, Dropbox simply wants to get more revenue from a smaller number of users. That makes some sense in our "greed is great" world.

If this is the case, I am a little surprised that I continue to get unsolicited emails from Dropbox telling me how great their product is and trying to get me to sign up. Maybe the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing at Dropbox these days. 

Helpful | Level 6

I really hope the current pricing will be reconsidered. I use Dropbox for small amounts of Data, but across four devices (Laptop, Work PC, Phone and Tablet), and have always found Dropbox to be superior in Terms of performance and reliability to other services. Most notably, I consider Dropbox the only service that is unlikely to break down when putting a git repository into it; While explicitly recommended against, with Dropbox it always worked and for many purposes (such as my library of Emacs addons) it was preferable. Plus, fast synchronization (delta sync for large files, priorization of small files, ...) and good handling of conflicts always put Dropbox at the top for me. The difference only gets more in favor of DropBox when considering, that my work PC is running Linux, where some major competitors don't offer an official sync client.

However, the jump from "free" to "120€/year or 12€/month" is just too steep.

Helpful | Level 7

@Cloud9 wrote:

Here's a simple solution to this problem. Upgrade (trial or paid) for a short time and add all the devices you want. Then cancel and you're back in business with your original earned storage and all of your devices. Repeat as needed. (Tested and confirmed.)

I was coming on to say just this. Let me reiterate: Subscribe for a month, add as many devices as you want, then unsubscribe. This works even for a free trial of Business. Ya'll are freaking out over essentially nothing. At the very worst, you have to pay $10 each time you want to add a new device or re-add an old device—and that's only if you only do one per month. Dropbox is a business; I hardly mind giving them $10 every year or so.

I tried this with a trial of Business, and it worked flawlessly. This is all I came on to find out, and now (because I tried it myself) I know.

And now I'm unsubscribing from this ridiculous thread, after a brief wait for responses.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6
Very interesting. I'm willing to try this but I wonder for how long one needs to be on the trial before canceling but to have this still work. It isn't really a ridiculous thread because people want to make their opinions known and we believe that maybe, just maybe, business will listen to its customers. Oh wait, you're right. This is ridiculous! Thanks for the tip I'm going to try it and I'm going to look around for options.

Helpful | Level 7

People wanting their opinions made known is one thing. Acting like a for-profit company trying to make money is the end of the world is ridiculous.

And you should be able to unsubscribe immediately. I think you'll still have service for the full month, but I really thought I tried that and then got charged after the trial period for Business (I wrote them and asked to refund the charge, and they did).

Helpful | Level 6

If you cancelled before the end of the trial, you wouldn’t have had a problem.

I also recommend using a virtual credit card number with a short expiration date and $1 limit for all trials you have no intention of continuing.

Helpful | Level 6

Since I've read this several times, and have myself no clarified in the previous post:

• A low-tier offer for breaking through the three-devices limit is definitely desirable.
  • Asking for a low-tier option at a lower price like 5€/mth with 100 GB isn't likely to happen, let alone for 2€/mth as some requested. I expect, that offering this option at that price level may lose the company money, as some people will downgrade, that previously were happy with the current subscription model.
  • A low-tier offer that does nothing but remove the three-device limit may be viable, and definitely desirable for many users.

However, I also understand that Dropbox is in a bit of an awkward place here. By having the file synchronization as their main business, they cannot offer prices like Google or One Drive, who can heavily subsidize that side. Offering a "more than three devices, no extra storage" tier at 2€/mth may backfire spectacularlily, when prospective customers compare by price first.

But for the very same reason, Dropbox currently has easily the best synchronization client in terms of official comprehensive cross-platform support, support in third-party apps, synchronization performance (support for delta-sync of large files, priorization of small files) and conflict handling. These features however, are much harder to sell than "100 GB for just 2€ per month!!". 

Helpful | Level 5

And if they don't have other products?

New member | Level 2

Just like everyone else I was shocked with the device limit, but I agree with many others who've said that we've coasted using a great product for years. 

I agree that there needs to be a middle level plan for those of us who use DB for family/friends and not business.  But there seem to be several potential work-arounds.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
475 Replies
1,013 Likes
Solved! : See solution