Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 5

There is no way in hell, heaven or earth that I'm going to pay you $10/month just to add an extra device ... for a service that doesn't even offer client side encryption and to a company that has been proven to snoop on customer data and provide the govt acces to it without a legal warrant (Snowden), and also who keeps data even if "deleted permanently" from the web interface (I have the email exchange to prove it).

Add a $1/month plan if you want more users.

Farewell from me. I can't believe I'm saying this but even Google is a better alternative now.

Helpful | Level 6

Why is there still a discussion on this? Dropbox made this change for whatever reason, so get over it. They don't need nor want marketing advice from anyone on this forum.

That said, there is a simple remedy for the device limit. Upgrade, add your device(s), and then cancel the upgrade and go back to the free plan. You'll continue to have all of the storage and devices you previously had plus the devices you added. Easy peasy.

Helpful | Level 7

@Cloud9 wrote:

Why is there still a discussion on this? Dropbox made this change for whatever reason, so get over it. They don't need nor want marketing advice from anyone on this forum.

That said, there is a simple remedy for the device limit. Upgrade, add your device(s), and then cancel the upgrade and go back to the free plan. You'll continue to have all of the storage and devices you previously had plus the devices you added. Easy peasy.

Umm... You're still posting. Get over it. People want to vent, let them vent. Are you in Dropbox marketing? You have some psychic connection to them and know this? 

Most change happens when enough customers complain. Or you can just be complacent and silent. Because that always gets you somewhere in life. 🙄

Helpful | Level 6

@Ryan C.40 wrote: Umm... You're still posting. Get over it. People want to vent, let them vent. Are you in Dropbox marketing? You have some psychic connection to them and know this? 

Most change happens when enough customers complain. Or you can just be complacent and silent. Because that always gets you somewhere in life. 🙄

My reply provided a simple solution, which apparently you ignored. That's why I'm still posting.

Do you really think at this point Dropbox is going to change their policy based on a few hundred posts in this forum? You don't need a "psychic connection" to figure that out.

Helpful | Level 5

@Cloud9 wrote:
Do you really think at this point Dropbox is going to change their policy based on a few hundred posts in this forum? You don't need a "psychic connection" to figure that out.

you and the point

Helpful | Level 7

@Cloud9 wrote:

@Ryan C.40 wrote: Umm... You're still posting. Get over it. People want to vent, let them vent. Are you in Dropbox marketing? You have some psychic connection to them and know this? 

My reply provided a simple solution, which apparently you ignored. That's why I'm still posting.

@Cloud9 wrote:

It all starts somewhere. New people come across this thread every day and post, so it just keeps going. As with any forum, the people here are the minority. For every one that posts, there are probably a few that have encountered the issue and moved on to a different service. To think only the people posting here are the only ones upset, complaining and what not, you're most likely very wrong. Not to mention how many just send an email, get a crap answer and move on. 

The problem is, it's tough to even calculate. No way for Dropbox to know how many free users are now paying for service elsewhere, so there's no real way to track lost business. They could notice a decrease in syncing among those accounts because most will just let things sync until they move on to a new device that won't sync. I'm using Box now, and I also have 100gb plus at a few other services. So my new devices sync with box. My dropsync is still active on my current devices though, so the current folders will still sync. But since I moved my Dropbox folder on my computer to a boxsync folder, there is less sync traffic with DB.

Would be nice to see how many free users went to paid or now have a decreased amount of syncing with DB. Then you could see if it would be financially worth it to offer a 200gb $36-40/yr offering. Would imagine most people with the device # issue wouldn't think twice about signing up for it. 

Explorer | Level 4
For the ones that upgraded temporarily to be able to add additional devices and then cancel the subscription, can you verify that you get to keep your additional space previously earned thru referrals after downgrading to free?

Helpful | Level 7

@Henrycl wrote:
For the ones that upgraded temporarily to be able to add additional devices and then cancel the subscription, can you verify that you get to keep your additional space previously earned thru referrals after downgrading to free?

Everything you've earned through referals  and bonuses is always yours. After promos and upgrades end you always go back to that base amount. 

Helpful | Level 6

Unless I'm mistaken, Ryan C, Henrycl is asking about the assertion by some here that one can subscribe to Dropbox on a trial or otherwise basis, by paying for 1 month. Then setup DB on MORE THAN 3 DEVICES (say 10 devices). Then, cancel before the month &/or the trial ends and have 10 devices on a free BASIC user basis.

I have considered trying this strategy but I've also been working off and on with how to get Google Drive to work on my Fire 10, Samsung S8, Dell, Gateway FX, and an Asus laptop. Amazon doesn't play nice with Google (I know, go fig, right?) so Drive works in an indirect way through Firefox Browser (and I've just discovered Drive seems to also work using a file manager app I sideloaded to the Fire). On this latter point, it is possible to install Google Play on a Kindle and hence make the Kindle more android-like but a prior experiment with that on a Fire 8 was so-so because the device was pretty slow and got worse. More recent findings on the web about installing Google Play on devices might be saying Kindle updates after 5.6 and esp 6.0 are problematic.

Anyway, sorry for wandering off the point. Henrycl wants to know if one can game DB's ridiculous device limit policy with a trial/cancellation trick. Anyone?

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 5
Hi all

I just want to say, that when Dropbox can make such dramatic change, no one can rely on their service anymore. You might be pushed out from their changes in price/services setup.
They proved they are not to trusted...
Paying or not, doesn’t matter!!!
Find a another partner to trust your fil-services!
Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
536 Replies
1,060 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey