Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 6

I got from it that he was worried about losing all the bonus and referral space after ditching the business trial. Don't believe the current device syncing is in question when you go back to free. They would have to go out of their way to stop a currently syncing device from syncing. Don't believe they are that conniving. And I believe a few of posted that the trick works. 

New member | Level 2

There is an alternative solution:

Move all your stuff to Google Drive for 15G and unlimited devices. Been a user of dropbox since it's launch but dropping to 3 devices renders it unusable for me.

Helpful | Level 6

Hi satechie,

Yeah, Google Drive seems the obvious choice. Unfortunately, one of my devices is the Amazon Fire 10 (Kindle). Amazon is toxic toward Google so Google Drive doesn't work on an Amazon device. Yes, I know I can sideload Google Play but it is not without its own problems. Amazon does have a Google Drive App but it is view only and does not allow file copy/move so one can edit/use the file contents. In the case of syncing passwords this is a fatal flaw. Despite these obstacles I am probably adopting Google Drive. slightly smiling face

Regards, Webweweave

New member | Level 2
Goodbye Dropbox. It’s been fun. Why did you have to go and ruin it?
Highlighted

New member | Level 2

After being with Dropbox since the early beta days, its time to fully move over to Google Drive. I've also moved my business over to google Drive and my work place is now on Google Drive. Some were paid accounts, so you lost some money due to this unnounced money grab change. Google Drive is a far better product. Bye bye!

Unclear and unfair regulation regarding devices limit

Helpful | Level 6

I noticed the change in regulation but, as I do not plan to add a new device, I felt there is no problem. There is clear statement, that users like me, having more than 3 devices connected don't have to disconnect any of them.

But it is simply a lie.

If for any technical reason one have to reinstall the Dropbox even on already connected device it is treated as new connection. It is not only unfair, but also cause additional problems. If I knew before what exactly the change means I would already moved to another provider, without rush. Now I have to do it immediatly, in worst possible time.

The only thing I can do is to send a message to other Dropbox users, so they can make an informed decision.

Re: Unclear and unfair regulation regarding devices limit

Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @jega - it's most appreciated. 

As there's already an open discussion about this, I've moved your post under this thread so as to keep all the relevant feedback under the same place.

Feel free to take a look and if you have anything to add or ask in the meantime, please let us know. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Yep...  I just had a drive die in a Mac.  After restoring to a new drive from a clone, poof I have to pick 3 devices or "upgrade" ?  It's the same exact Mac.  Oh well.  I've been on since the beta and racked a lot of space from referrerals, but at this point my purchase of Resilio Sync is looking golden.   Hope this was a good move financially, because it certainly wasn't trust/good-will wise.  Later...

Helpful | Level 6

Well, this is your forum so I hardly can do anything if you decided to move my post. I can only say, that I intentionally started another thread, because the one you moved my post to is very long and started on the very beginning of the new age of limited devices. Because of this people didn't know how you actually will approach to situation like mine so believed in your lies. To find out what is going on one have to read (at least scan through) several pages. My intention was to deliver quick and clear answer for users like me yesterday looking for an answer on simply question "what if..."

As I mentioned before for the sake of such a guys I posted warning on other forums, so more people will know what they should before bad thing happens.

Of course providing service free of charge you may set the rules, but keeping - even now - unclear, misleading information about how it works is another thing.

Helpful | Level 6

@jega Basically, by moving your post here, Dropbox is telling you that they do not want to hear what you are saying. Simply put, Dropbox has hatched a plan that they are sure will make big bucks, and they don't want any of us to be a part of it, unless we are willing to throw at minimum 10$/month at it. Personally, I've moved on, took my business elsewhere, and found a provider that understands that 10$/month is not an ideal bottom tier. I suggest you do the same.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
461 Replies
1,004 Likes
Solved! : See solution