Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

New member | Level 2

So basically no matter how many previously linked devices you had they'll stay linked into the future but as soon as you want to add a new device you need to unlink all but two (plus the new device) and then from that point on you would only have 3 devices linked (all previously linked devices that were unlinked to add the new device would now have to be unlinked)?

Helpful | Level 5

Correct, unless you pay well above market rate for cloud storage

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @lowryda34,

Unfortunately yes. tired face

Only way partially workaround, if you only need to replace one old computer and set up new one, is copy authorization info to the new computer (it's easier when setup is same - OS, user name and so on).

Hope this gives some idea.

Re: policy

Helpful | Level 5

You are absolutely right. Migration is the way to go.

I had 5 devices and one morning DB tell me to disconnect 2 of the 5. 

I am testion Google Drive and it is working fine so far.  Too bad, I promoted DB to all my friends and they are also sad about this policy.

I want my 2 old devices back please.

Re: policy

New member | Level 2

52 Pages and lots and lots of comments....OK so sounds like its true you guys are not interested in the small users who are willing to pay a nominal amount instead of free. Sorry to see you guys go under, bye!

Helpful | Level 6

No, that woild be fair. But even if for any (e.g. technical) reason one must reinstall it on any of the already linked devices it is considered as installation on a "new" device. So to be ready one should as soon as possible migrate to avoid serious problem when **bleep** happen. Don't wait, don't hesitate, migrate NOW!. Which is actually what they want - what for keeping users who don't pay?

Helpful | Level 5

@jega: "Which is actually what they want - what for keeping users who don't pay?"

I think you are wrong there. There is great value in a large user base for a number of reasons, so if enough people drop dropbox (excuse the pun) they will definitely be unhappy. But obviously they are prepared to lose a few, otherwise they would not have made this abrupt but silent policy change that have pissed so many of us off — and will anger many more to come, given the unwelcome surprise that will meet them after coming home with a brand new device. They MUST have realised that it would be unpopular (hence the drive to use the stick must have been strong for some reason). I just hope they underestimated how unpopular it would be, and realise their mistake through people voting with their feet as well as raising their voices (as we do here). But alas, if enough people upgrade, they will probably consider it a success and accept that some (“those darn cheapskates that we cannot make money on anyway…”) move away.

Highlighted

Super User

Interesting read:  https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/07/dropbox-dbx-earnings-q3-2019.html

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

New member | Level 2

Old popular thread, but want my feedback heard by Dropbox too.

Been using the service for a long, long time now. I know I've freeloaded the past decade, and I'm way more than willing to buy a pizza for a Dropbox dev.

However, I don't need 2TB of space. I'm happy with my 5ish or so GB.

What I need is more than 3 devices ability to sync, which has become annoying unlinking and linking devices- something I've never had to do since I installed in 2009. 09! Who can say they stick with a service that long?

I'd be more than happy to pay between $20-40 yearly for a low storage space, but allowing for more synced devices. I can't be the only one with this request. Dropbox, is it not profitable to support your individual user base such as this? Or is the idea to try to get $100 annually once we get frustrated enough? I find your service valuable, but not that valuable. Can we compromise? How about a "simple task" that instead of +500MB gets me access to one more device? :D

Ah well, I'll go unlink the 4th device like a good unappreciated, yet freeloading user.

Now I can only link 3 devices?

New member | Level 2

It's unfortunate that there's now a three-device limit for the Basic (free) plan of Dropbox.  The amount of storage (less than 3-1/2 Gbytes) was more than adequate for what I needed.  However, by replacing a phone, the applecart (so to speak) has been upset, and I will have to carefully think about my options.  Dropbox was an extremely convenient cloud service, and linked in will with the iOS and Mac OS system and utilities.  2Tb is more than I can use at the moment, and $10/month gives me a bit of a pause.  @Knot-me had a good idea about other tiers of plans and costs.  

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
536 Replies
1,060 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey