Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: March 2019 device limit policy

Helpful | Level 6

Heh. When this first spun up, in addition to moving my personal "business" to another provider, I also noted the change in terms to our support group at work, and that any non-paying partners/customers would likely find this solution less acceptable. Apparently Dropbox was already getting the hairy eye, because I just got an official email that Dropbox is off the approved list; I am no longer to use it for any purposes and should immediately remove and secure any data I stored there (we were already doing encrypted containers because DB is bad at crypto/security). Apparently that's a Fortune 50 off of Dropbox's paying customer list over this "simple" "little" issue. Enjoy, Dropped box!

Collaborator | Level 9

I would like to thank Dropbox, for making me reread the terms of service. It made me see that asside from the privace law issues of storing private client information on US servers, I found they had added the right to share the CONTENT of your files with so-called "trusted third parties". 

This was already addressed before: among other things, Dropbox used to be based on AWS (Amazon Web Services) storage. I do not know if it's currently using it, but it was. In this case, the "trusted third party" is Amazon, whom they share your files with because Amazon is providing the actual servers where the storage space is.

Another example: Microsoft Office files preview. Last time I checked these were handled in partnership with Microsoft. It's probably the case that they need to "send" your files to Microsoft in order to generate a preview of them.

Techpotato:

You have absolutely no concept of the skills of the average user.

I could say that "you have no concept of" what my qualifications are nor what my daily job is. So, given that you don't know me (and vice versa), if I may add a little piece of advice: I'd personally refrain from accusing people met online of not knowing stuff. winking face

New member | Level 2

That might be true, but they'll lose many members. One is me. I've just had a backup of one of my two laptops and cannot link it now to dopbox due to the new limit. I'm out, going to Google Drive. 

New member | Level 2

I too have used Dropbox basic for a looong time and been perfectly happy with it. My needs are simply app data so the 2 gigs is perfectly adequate. However, the new 3 device policy is just a knife in the back of existing users. In my case a mac and windows desktop, a mac and windows laptop, a phone and a tablet. That's the minimum. 

I will gladly pay for the service but the jump from free plan to $100/yr plan is way too much. $30/yr? No problem. 

As it is I will be part of the exodus and disrecommend of Dropbox. I do not like being extorted. That is what the new policy feels like.

Thanks for listening.

Star Collaborator | Level 18

It seems the last action (last year - autumn) for restricting users set didn't give the expected results... face screaming in fear  Probably, now the free/basic users are direct target... thinking face  This is the life, while the money are not enough (both - customer and provider point of view)... disappointed but relieved face  Chance for all other cloud services to 'catch' new customers, Dropbox disappointed.

New member | Level 2

100% agree Knot-Me -- I'm in the same boat -- I only need a tiny bit of data, but having dropbox has been nice as it is integrated nicely into other things.  So I've been using it for free.  I'd be more than happy to pay $10/yr for 5GB of space -- I'm not sure beyond that -- I'm looking at other options now, as I don't expect this change to occur soon enough to keep me in the dropbox ecosystem unfortunately.  Hopefully they'll get it together soon enough to save their business -- it's a very well done sync.

Helpful | Level 6

For those that have more than 3 devices but don't need a lot of storage, you may want to consider using a shared folder with multiple accounts. Just create as many new free accounts as you need, each with 2GB and up to 3 devices.

New member | Level 2

Blatent attempt to get existing customers to upgrade to $120 per year plan just to cover more than 3 devices.  And the way we find out about it is by trying to add another device and being rejected without warning, due to a limit that was sneaked into the product without our knowledge back in March.  How exactly do you think your customers are going to respond to this?

I might not be a paying customer but I have referred dropbox to multiple people to get additional space.  I do not need 1TB but I do need more than 3 devices (home pc, home laptop, work laptop, 2 ipads, 2 mobiles).

There are going to be many people that simply abandon your niche product offering and go with one of the other main players that offer no device limit on free accounts and also have more sensible pricing or bundled pricing for paid accounts.   

Please rethink this or at least have the device restriction apply to new accounts only to reward your loyal customers who have used and referred your product for years.

Explorer | Level 4
I concur. As officer of a 501(c)(3) charitable ministry who serves the needy, we had 7 linked devices, of which 2 are no longer active and can be deleted. This leaves 5 devices which we need in order to perform our ministry business from remote locations.
Recently, one of our needed devices mysteriously became “unlinked” from our account, and I cannot relink it due to the new policy.
I reached out to Dropbox for help and was told I would need to eliminate all but 2 devices in order to relink the dropped device.
As we need the 5 we had, this would severely impact our ability to conduct our ministry business.
If we cannot find a solution which works for both of us, we too will have to move on.

New member | Level 2

I'm in exactly same situation, I reinstalled OS and Dropbox and I can't use it because I have more than 3 devices linked to Dropbox. I am thinking to switch to other storage provider.

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

March 2019 device limit policy
475 Replies
1,013 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post