Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

More space for client share

New member | Level 2

My client is sharing their files with my via dropbox.  I do not use dropbox outside of this one client.  Dropbox is telling me I need to upgrade to an account that is $11.99/month to see the files.  This is absurd.  They are the client's files, I am not hosting them, why on earth would I have to pay? Is this how dropbox works?  It's ridiculous. I hope this is a mistake or there is a workaround.  When your competition is google, you are not even in the ballpark.  I get 2tb for $2.99 a month with google.  $11.99/month to see a couple files that aren't even mine is total robery.

2 Replies

Re: More space for client share

Dropboxer
Hi there @pippanelcote

Initially, I wanted to mention that your Dropbox quota is calculated based on the total contents of your account. Since a Dropbox account can't sync more than its quota, a 2 GB account can't sync more than 2 GB, including the space taken up by shared folders. 

Due to every member of a shared folder having the ability to add and edit the files in it, the folder takes up the relevant space in each member's account. This policy exists to prevent people from giving themselves unlimited space by stacking Basic accounts and shared folders.

If you want to check how much space is available and how much is being occupied by regular/private and shared content, you can find out by navigating to your Plan tab

Having said that, if you'd like to receive a folder without it having an impact on your storage, you can ask for the owner to send you a shared link to it, which allows you to view or download a one-way, read-only copy. 

Additionally, if you'd like to upload files to their account without impacting your space, you can ask the user to send you a file request, enabling you to upload files to their account to a certain path set by the sender.

Finally, although you can bring your account under quota again by removing unwanted regular files and leaving any shared folders that put you over quota, you can also increase your space by earning it.

I hope this helps to some extent, but let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: More space for client share

New member | Level 2

I understand your explanation but I think the pricing is absolutely out of line.  It's 2019.  The dropbox interface is awkward and clumsy and lightyears away from being as easy and efficient as the google suite.  To charge that much for a completely sub-par product is ridiculous.  And I am held hostage by your policies unless I want to tell my client to send read-only files which, you know, is not a logical option.  There is a reason I only have one client using dropbox and all others are using google. I will work hard to transition this client away from this unhelpful, overpriced service.  There is just no other way to see it.  Dropbox is not sustainable as a "service".

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

More space for client share
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post