Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

ONE Dropbox account TWO members (both me) with different email sign-ins ~ want to combine

New member | Level 2

When I upgraded to Business, I transferred my personal into the Business to have one account. That was successful (I think).  But I somehow created two members for the account, both me, with two different sign-in emails (personal and business).  Can I make it so I have only one member (me) and a single sign-in.  I am worried that the files saved or synced for each member are not the same, and I don't want to lose anything when I combine or delete one account.

7 Replies

Re: ONE Dropbox account TWO members (both me) with different email sign-ins ~ want to combine

Dropboxer

Hey there @DStearns  - how are you today?

As I understand it, you upgraded your account to a Dropbox For Business Teams plan and you somehow ended up with two separate accounts that are both part of the Business team in question and you'd like to have only one account to login into and sync your files to - please correct me if I got anything wrong.

Now, based on your description, there are two accounts of yours, under separate email addresses, in the team account (our Business plans come with a minimum of 3 licenses).

At this point, the solution should be quite easy simply by utilizing our account transfer feature. You can see more about it here: 

https://help.dropbox.com/teams-admins/admin/account-transfer

Note that you'll need to be logged into the Admin Console (available to team admin accounts) with the email address you'd like to keep. 

Please let me know how it goes!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: ONE Dropbox account TWO members (both me) with different email sign-ins ~ want to combine

New member | Level 2

I think part of my confusion is how "membership" and "account" seems to be used interchangeably. I think I have ONE account, having combined my previously personal account into my upgraded business account. But in doing so I have myself as a member under my personal email, and myself as a member under my business email, and this is messing up syncing. (For example, a client shared a dropbox file with me using my business email and it shows up only if I am signed in using that email, while it does not show up if signed in with my personal email. I would like to sign in with only one email and be sure everything is there.  So......

The related issue is that both members are currently Admin-status, and the personal email was Admin status first, thus, it will not allow me to delete that member, even though it is the other one I want to keep. Argh.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the clarification @DStearns  - much appreciated.

Let me clarify that each Dropbox account is associated with one email address. Having two email addresses within the Team Account means that you have two different work spaces (these are two separate members of the same team account).

Based on the sharing incident you described, it seems like your clients are sharing with only your business email address and that's why you don't see those files when you're logged into your account that is associated with your personal email address. 

Moving on to your current concern, it sounds like you're trying to delete the account you're currently logged into. 

If I've misunderstood this, please forward me a screenshot of any errors you might be getting when attempting the account transfer as per my previous response. 

Thank you!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

First, thank you for your assistance. Much appreciated.  

As for the attempted solution, the problem appears to be that when I click on the "gear" for the member/email I want to delete, it does not give me the option to delete. When I click on the "gear" for the member/email I want to keep, it does give me the option to delete. I assume, but do not know, that the difference is because the email I do not want to keep was the first one set up as administrator. 

Finally, you are correct that the discrepancy of what appears in folders is because the client used one email versus the other. But the email my clients use is my business email, not my personal, thus my desire to have only my business in use for my business dropbox.  (Obviously, before I upgraded to Business, I used my personal email for my dropbox account. )  Thank you again. 

Dropboxer

This makes sense and adds to my initial guess that you're signed into the account you'd like to change the settings for and that's why you don't see the options you get for the other one.

Can you try logging into the other account and do it from there? 

As you mentioned that both of these accounts have admin rights you should be fine to do so - don't worry. 

Let me know how it goes @DStearns!

Walter

New member | Level 2

Okay, now I'm starting to feel a little guilty for potentially being "difficult."  All of the advice so far has been spot on.  The problem with deleting the account was, in fact, me needing to sign-out and sign-in with the other account.  But, NOW, as I started the process, and looked at the "Review" of what's going to happen, it all looks great EXCEPT that it says the deleted account will be turned into a separate individual Dropbox account.  What?  I don't want two accounts. I want ONE account with everything in there, including a folder of what had previously been my individual account.  Sorry to be frustrating, but this is also really frustrating for me. 

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this @DStearns.

Would it be OK if I reached out to the email address associated with your Community's profile so we can work on this together?

Walter

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

ONE Dropbox account TWO members (both me) with different email sign-ins ~ want to combine
7 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post