cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieved a "complete your dropbox setup" email for no obvious reason

Recieved a "complete your dropbox setup" email for no obvious reason

lightningpaw77
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi there.

I've just recieved an email asking me to complete my setup of Dropbox, despite my having used Dropbox for a lot of years now.

I've opened my Dropbox client and see nothing untoward and no notifications there.

The email came from no-reply@dropbox.com and looks legit enough. I've provided a screenshot.

dropboxemail.JPG

Anything that might have triggered this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you both for your detailed updates!

It seems that this communication may have just been sent by mistake from what you've mentioned. There isn't a certain action that can be taken to prompt the communication to be sent to you (such as a new login etc). 

@Marta9, you should be able to unlink the old device with an "x" that appears to the right of the device when you visit the Security page of your account settings. Let me know if you're not able to do this.

It doesn't sound like anything unusual is occurring, however let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for reaching out to us @lightningpaw77!

Just to double check the email address that you received this from, when viewing the message in your inbox can you please click the sender's info (Dropbox <no-reply@dropbox.com>)? This will expand for more info and you can see the exact email that you received this from. Let me know if you see anything other than the "no-reply@dropbox.com" email listed there.

Also, if you hover over the "Getting started" button, can you take a screenshot of the link that it goes to? It may just be that you haven't completed some of the steps mentioned in the notification.

Finally, do you have any other email addresses that are forwarded to the one you received the communication to? Is the email that you received this message to the one associated with your Dropbox account?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there - thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

lightningpaw77
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

Thanks for the prompt reply. 🙂

Clicking on the sender address deson't reveal anything other than no-reply@dropbox.com

dropboxaddress.jpg

When hovering on the "get started" link it appears to show a legit dropbox link:

dropboxlink.jpg

I don't have any other email addresses associated with my Dropbox account.

Thanks for your help.

Marta9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've just recieved an email asking me to complete my setup of Dropbox, despite my having used Dropbox for many years.  I have Dropbox set up on multiple devices (Windows and mobile).  I have checked and I don't see anything unusual other than a warning that I have to many devices associated it with my account (an old mobile unit).

I have checked the From address and it is from Drop box (no-reply@dropbox.com) and hovering over Get Started link - it is also from drop box https://www.dropbox.com/l/AAB1Z0njrZyKbGYJnd_YxQndlbEv7Jc3S4E/

Please advise.   Thank you

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi peeps!

@Marta9, just to note, I've merged your post here as it seems to pertain to the same issue as the OP described. 

It seems that you both may have just received this notification by mistake, since you both appear to have received this from an official Dropbox domain and the link is to the expected web page. It could also be due to not completing the full list of "Getting started steps".

If you follow the link, can you let me know if you've already completed all the steps listed there?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Marta9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks Daphne.  I followed "Getting Started Steps" link on my Windows machine and it took me to directly my webbased home page. There were no other steps to complete.

One thing to note -  I had to log into the website using the web browser to log my question on the forum.   After logging in, I did receive a security email notifying me that there was a new sign in by Firefox.  I typically use the dropbox application that integrates into Windows file system so I can drag and drop.  That is the only thing 'different' that I've had to do.

I also followed the link on one of my mobile devices and that took me to the website on my mobile and I logged in.  I was then taken to my web based home page and there was a notice at the top that the Dropbox app was installed.

So nothing looks unusual or  unexpected when I followed the link.

BTW,  the only error that I see is when I go into my Account in the Ipad application. It shows that I happen to have 4 devices linked and only 3 are allowed.  I have an old second ipad that is still linked and I can unlink it.  I am mentioning this because it is the only unusual item that I can see.

Thanks again

lightningpaw77
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Daphne

So I can see that I've only completed four out of the seven "getting started" steps, simply because the other three aren't really relevant to how I use my account, so that perhaps explains it. Just curious as to why Dropbox would generate this email now suddenly after so many years.

The only other strange thing is that, earlier today after I posted this, I logged into my dropbox account to see if anything was unusual and couldn't see anything. I managed to log in fine with my saved password in my browser.

Curiously, however, after reading your latest reply, I went to sign in again and Dropbox would no longer recognise my password, despite having accepted it earlier in the day. I've just subsequently changed it and logged in again and can't see anything amiss, but it just seems that something quite strange is going on.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thank you both for your detailed updates!

It seems that this communication may have just been sent by mistake from what you've mentioned. There isn't a certain action that can be taken to prompt the communication to be sent to you (such as a new login etc). 

@Marta9, you should be able to unlink the old device with an "x" that appears to the right of the device when you visit the Security page of your account settings. Let me know if you're not able to do this.

It doesn't sound like anything unusual is occurring, however let me know if you have any other questions about this.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

lightningpaw77
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, Daphne.

I think the latter problem I was havng with my login was unrelated - think I had duplicate logins saved in my browser, it seems to be ok now.

Thanks again for your help. 🙂

Marta9
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you Daphne.  I have unlinked the old device.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Marta9 New member | Level 2
    lightningpaw77 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?