cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Settings and Preferences

The Dropbox Community is here to help if you have questions about your account settings and preferences. Learn and share advice with members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Recover Deleted Account

Nick B.
New member | Level 1

Is there anyway to recover an account that has been deleted?

38 Replies 38

Michelle O.3
New member | Level 1

Actually, NO. I was NOT REPEATEDLY warned. Do you work for Dropbox?

Mark
Super User II

No I dont. I'm simply a paying Pro user.  

But I have set up a Business Account and in the on boarding you are told, repeatedly, what will happen and how to avoid it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Michelle O.3
New member | Level 1

Well, good thing you don't work for Dropbox because your bedside manner is awful. What you are missing in this "chat" is that I did not set up a business account.

Mark
Super User II

You said you joined a Team account - that is exactly the same as a Business one. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Brian M.33
New member | Level 1

I gave up on Dropbox because of this problem. It's so frustrating that my Business account and Personal account got linked.... It's even more frustrating that I received an email on my business account that it was inactive. So when I followed the email link they provided to close the business account it closed both... I used the personal account all the time so if they were linked I should've never received the inactivity email. This process makes no sense.

Toni B.1
New member | Level 1

This happened to me today and the administrator of the team account is not being cooperative. I've had my account with DropBox for years and now nothing. Clearly since all these people are posting about the same issues, the warnings are not clear. This absolutely needs to be changed. I've lost 100s of files that I use for my work! It's frustrating.

Little S.1
Helpful | Level 5

Same issue here. The issue is apparently deaf to the resident "Super User's" ears. I am an intelligent person. The Dropbox process is confusing and frankly the wording is misrepresenting what actually takes place.

I lost control  of my confidential files. The "admin" deleted my account and now suppport is in the process of restoring my account to its original state.

We have been warning all users not to use Dropbox until this "feature" is eliminated due to phishing risks. I would recommend transferring your files to a different service in the meanwhile.

This is a known IT security risk.

brainy
New member | Level 2

I faced the same issue today.

This is really bad. whats the use of dropbox being cloud storage when they want to delete our accounts. The mail of reminder was sent but being out of country for few months I wasnt able to open my dropbox. 

And the account I am unable to recover. 

Alert should have been given to mobile numbers for deletion of accounts. THis is realllllllllllllllllllyyy bad part of dropbox. I would now never use dropbox. THe worst of it.  There are many other cloud storages. I better delete all my files and accounts from this worst platform,

Mark
Super User II

Your accounts are only deleted after many months (12+) of inactivity and at least 3 months of emails to say its going to happen. That to be fair is not unrealistic and it is something that you agree to via the T&C's when joining. 

There is, now, a small window to say 'recover' this account by rejoining with the same email. I believe though its only 7 days or so after it was deleted. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Ask a Question section here.]

Need more support?