Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Remove work account option from desktop app

Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I recently changed jobs. I'd like to remove the option to link my work account in the desktop app in the 'Account' and 'Sync' preferences. I'll still have access to my work account for a while, but I don't want to see it in my desktop app as an option anymore. Any way to do this?

7 Replies

Re: Remove work account option from desktop app

Dropboxer
Hey there @aaronjray

Currently, you can’t deactivate the option to connect a work (Business) account to a personal (Basic/Plus/Professional) one. 

If you’d like to disconnect one of your two accounts from a device, just follow the same steps you took to connect them

If you’d like to unlink them completely from being paired:
  1. Sign in to the website
  2. Click your avatar in the top-right corner.
  3. Select Settings.
  4. Under Connected Dropbox accounts, click Disconnect.
Please bear in mind that when you disconnect paired accounts, the account that was linked to your devices second will be unlinked from those devices.

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

If I just don't want to see the business name in the options, in the case of my screenshot  below it says "Legwork" - will disconnecting it from my device just change that to say "connect a business account" or something along those lines? I've already disconnected it, but it's still showing the name of the company there. 

And when you say "paired" accounts, why would my personal account be paired to my work account, shouldn't they still be separate essentially? 

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 9.46.00 PM.png

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshot, @aaronjray!

From what I understand, you’ve disconnected the account in question from your desktop app, but is it still connected on the website?

Could you please confirm if the Dropbox accounts are still connected there by navigating to your General tab from the website’s settings?

Finally, do not worry, your accounts are separate. When two accounts are referred to being paired or connected, it’s got more to do with the capability of you having a personal (Basic/Plus/Professional) connected with a work (Business) account, just as you have. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Lusil,

In my personal settings on the Dropbox website, I see a tab that says "You've connected your personal and work Dropbox accounts.", and then a disconnect button.

But did I also read somewhere that if I disconnect the two accounts, it will remove both of them from the desktop app? I don't want to have to re-sync all my files again.

Thanks!

Dropboxer
When you disconnect two accounts from each other, the account that was linked to your devices second will be unlinked, not both. 

I hope this helps clarify matters a bit more! In the meantime, let me know if you have any other questions, @aaronjraygrinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

Hi @Lusil Ok, so that means it will disconnect my new Personal account. So if that happens, then would I need to delete and reinstall the desktop app to only show my personal account in the preferences (ie; the point of this inquiry), and it wouldn't show the actual business name connect option? 

Thanks, Aaron

Dropboxer
Apologies for the misunderstanding, @aaronjray. Allow me to clarify:

If you’ve already unlinked the Business account from your computer, then the account syncing on your device is the personal one. 

Whether you disconnect the two accounts from the website at this point, it won’t make a difference as the work account is no longer connected to that computer.  

By unlinking your personal and work accounts from the website, you will be unlinking the second account that you connected on any other device that still has both syncing.

I hope this doesn’t confuse you, but please let me know if you’d like me to clarify a bit more. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Lusil

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Remove work account option from desktop app
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post