Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Running out of space on my Dropbox account, but my Mac reports the file size differently

New member | Level 2

According to Dropbox, I am running out of space in my folder (18.12gb [95.4%] out of 19gb used). But Mac finder tells me I have files totalling only 9.98gb. What explains the difference?

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox space

Super User II
Are you using Selective Sync on the Mac? That would remove folders locally but leave them online?

Or, are you using symlinks? MacFinder wouldnt take them in to account.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
Thanks for your response. The answer your q: No and No.

Super User II
The website information is correct. Thats fact.

So some stuff isnt on the Mac, or, the Mac isnt calculating it correctly - remember that putting things like iTunes or iPhoto in to Dropbox will create lots of hidden symlinks.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Running out of space on my Dropbox account, but my Mac reports the file size differently
3 Replies
0 Likes