cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Highlighted

Same account on work and personal computer

New member | Level 2

Hello! I work at a University and we have a shared dropbox folder used by the department. When I access it on my work computer I have no issues. I also logged on to my work dropbox account on my personal computer. When I use drop box on my personal computer, I constantly get messages that its full. Since its a shared folder, people are constantly adding to it and I can't delete anything. I have tried selectively syncing on my personal computer as well, but it does not solve the problem. Should this be happening if I'm logged into my work account on both computers?  Thanks!

1 Reply

Re: Same account on work and personal computer

Dropboxer

Hello @megallagher - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

As shared folders count towards each member's quota, you'd need to remove your access from this shared folder to make up space on your account; selective sync wouldn't help in this case as it's a solution when you trying to free up space locally on your computer's hard drive - not your account's overall space. 

If your Dropbox account is indeed over quota then only syncing stops. Nothing will be removed and syncing will resume when you bring your account under quota again which you can achieve by doing any of the following:

1. Upgrade your account – check out www.dropbox.com/plans for other information.
  2. Increase your quota using referrals bonuses or other promotions.
  3. Leave any shared folders or Spaces that put you over quota.
  4. Move files that don't need to sync out of your Dropbox folder.

It's also worth mentioning that if you don't need edit rights on the said folder, you can ask the owner to create a shared link for you to view-only the content. 

If you then need to upload files back to the owners account, you can ask them to open up a file request for you. 

I hope this information helps while I'm always around if you have any additional questions. 

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Same account on work and personal computer
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post