Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Samsung Galaxy Device Name

New member | Level 2

Hello,

My wife and I use DropBox to automatically sync our phone pics to our PC and it's a great way to both do picture backups and keep your phone storage cleaned out when needed.

The problem is that since we have the same phone (Galaxy S9+) dropbox uses the same device name for both (Android SM-G965U).  This name isn't even the actual device name, it is the phone model number instead.

This gets REALLY confusing when you have to reset your phone and link it again because you don't know which device to unlink first forcing you to wait a while until you can identify which "link" has been inactive for a while.

Is there a way to change the name or have dropbox use the actual name instead of just model number?

Thanks,
Thomas

2 Replies

Re: Samsung Galaxy Device Name

Dropboxer

Hey there @thomasa1980 - how are you today?

I'm afraid there's no way to change the name of a mobile device of yours and how it's shown on your account's security page from our end - I'll pass your suggestion on to the team though; thanks for your feedback!

In addition, sharing an account is something we don't recommend since sharing your Dropbox password with others violates the Dropbox Terms of Service.

Have you considered using two separate accounts to do this perhaps? In this way, you'll both be uploading your stuff to your own accounts. If you'd to share some stuff from there, you'll be able to do it via a shared folder. Read here for more info:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-with-others

I know it's not optimal but this should help move forward with the task at hand. 

Please keep me posted on your progress!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Samsung Galaxy Device Name

New member | Level 2

Thanks, that's a shame...

I understand regarding a single account, but she's only on it for the purposes of picture backup, otherwise she has no use of it and she doens't want to have to maintain it each time it reaches its limit so it's a lot easier for me to just manage a single account where all picture go to a single folder.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior or have a question, feel free to Ask for help from the Community here.]

Manage Account

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Samsung Galaxy Device Name
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post